5. Why Me?

Cato's POV

Clove had walked into training with Fawn this morning and something was entirely off between those two. I can't tell what it was about them though... Fawn had just looked confused and I could've sworn that there was a hint of fear behind her eyes. She never really was one to fully be afraid of anyone smaller than her. Maybe it was the way that Clove was so tensed up and could easily take out a target the second she got to the knives station. Or maybe it was the way that when she trained, it was the easiest way to see how deadly she could possibly be.

Was Clove really that upset about what had been said after the party? I doubt that she would even hold that kind of grudge for that long. It wasn't until after I had talked to her that I found out she was concerned about her training. I don't blame her either, I am too. I'm suppose to bring pride to the District and do my best to come home. That's my job as the tribute this year. No one is going to volunteer for me. Not with the way that I'm at the top of my class. It doesn't work like that. Not that I'm aware of at least. It's never happened before. If it has, they haven't told us about that time. I don't know if I'm going to be that kind of tribute this year though. I don't know if I'm going to be able to slaughter the others in the Arena. I know for a fact that I won't be able to kill Clove... I won't be able to kill my District partner at all. A sigh left my lips as I stood up from my bed to start pacing the room. What was I going to do?

Clove was going to go into those Games for her sister. I know that for a fact. I saw the look on her face when she read the list. There wasn't a chance that she was actually honored to be a part of the Games. She knows that it's probably her walking into her own damn death. I can't let her die though. I have to keep her alive to the end so she can go home. I'll take the easy way out of it and let her kill me or find a way to kill myself. She'll be the one to come home to her family. I won't. There isn't really anyone that I care to marry here. That would be the only other reason that I fight to win the Games. If I had found someone that was worth fighting for in the Arena. I don't though... Not that I care to admit at least. Clove did take good care of me, but that was only because I was drunk off my ass. Chances are that it was more of a pity sort of thing. Nothing else. But then why did she come back after getting changed...? She could've just stayed home or something and pretended like she had fallen asleep. But she didn't...

That's what I don't get! Why the fuck would she want to come back. Last I checked her and I weren't the closest to begin with. We barely talked during training and if anything, it was one of us being rude to the other one. I'm the heartless jackass that all the girls seem to be in love with. She's... Well, she's basically the exact same as me. She's the girl version of me. I doubt that she's even noticed how many of the guys are looking at her every day. She's always focused on the work that she has to do. Always. Nothing changes that. Actually, I guess that you could say that today sort of changed. I broke her focus, but I needed to figure out what the fuck was wrong with her. I let out a sound of frustration and shoved on a pair of shoes to go head over to her house. I needed answers and I needed them now.

"Cato! Logan! Dinner!" Father's voice bounced off the hallway walls and I frowned a little. I have to eat here or else get the lecture about needing to keep up my strength and everything like that.

I sighed and walked out of my room, giving Logan a shove as he walked past me. He sent me the bird and continued into the kitchen for dinner. My eyes wandered to the wall and landed on one of the photographs that we have of Mother in the home. I have to make her proud... I hope I can at least. I don't think that she would want me to give up my life for someone else in the Games. I'm not sure though... She would probably want me to do the right thing and that might be to let Clove live and have myself die. I sighed softly and walked into the kitchen, picking up a plate to grab some food off of the stove. Father probably only had a few minutes before he was going to head downstairs and open up the bar. I'll make sure that Logan stays home tonight and help out if he needs it. People are probably eager to be at the bar again after my party. They've had two days to make up for whatever drinking that they missed, but they normally didn't care. A lot of the people here drank more than a lot of people probably thought to drink.