Chapter 23: Visitor

The sound of Cherish's phone ringing jolted her from sleep. She was ready to ignore whosoever was calling but the call didn't stop. She snatched the phone reluctantly from the bedside stand and frowned when she saw the caller.
"Good evening ma. Sorry to disturb," The gateman said hesitantly.
"Moise, what is happening?" She asked.
"Ma, there is a man at the gate. He says he's your husband," the gateman said.
"Husband?" She repeated, sitting up straighter.
"Yes ma, he wants to talk to you," Moise and.
She heard a shuffle.
"Hello, Cherish, please let me in," Levi's voice sent a mixture of emotions through her body in a split second: first, excitement, followed by shock and then anger. How dare he? He disappears for months then appears from nowhere and demands to be let it?

"Cherish, can you hear me? Please let me in," Levi repeated, frustration evident in his voice. She didn't say anything, instead she hung up quickly and threw the phone on the bed as if it burnt her hands.

Levi waited outside the gate, impatience, fatigue and frustration eating through his body. He had just travelled from Bamenda and his bones ached with tiredness. The least the gateman could do was let him into the compound but the man whom he didn't recognize and didn't also recognise him looked at him suspiciously through the opening in the gate. He'd been waiting now for 15 minutes and it didn't seem like Cherish was coming. He banged on the gate with his fist.
"Open this gate, this is my compound. Cherish is my wife!" He barked.
"Ha! Auntie Cherish no get husband," The gateman laughed.
He kicked the gate in frustration and dialed Cherish's number again. It was no use as the auto message said "the number wasn't available,"
He continued to knock.
"Please open. I'm not lying, this is my house," this time, he was pleading.
"Uncle, if you hit this gate again, I go shout 'tif man'. Dem go cam burn you with tyre," the gateman threatened. Levi realised he was speaking the truth so he calmed down.
"If you be Auntie Cherish e husband. Wetin be their pikin e name?" The gateman asked.
"Jeremy," Levi replied grudgingly.
"I mean the new bébé," he said.
"Erm...erm Viva.." Levi stuttered making the gateman laugh.
"You lie. Her name na Vivian. Which kind name be Viva? I no sure say you be even relative," the gateman said
Levi imagined strangling the stupid man before firing him as soon as Cherish opened the gate. Where did he come from Vivian until he was mocking him? He'll lose his job as soon as he got inside.

◇◇◇

The next morning, Marlise's whole family was stepping out. Marlise and her mother were going to the hospital for a follow-up visit with Viva while Cherish was taking Jay to school. As the security guard opened the gate, they all froze when they saw Levi. He looked tired and worn out and he had his Valise in one hand.
"Levi?" Marlise said in shock.
"Daddy?" Jay said, more out of surprise than excitement. Even at that, he didn't make an attempt to move towards his father. Instead, he looked up at Cherish whose hand he was holding. Her hardened face conveyed a non verbal message causing to take two steps behind.
"What are you still doing here?" Cherish asked.
"Still?" Marlise asked.
"Yes. I came yesterday night and called her but can you believe she didn't let me in? I had to find a hotel when I have a house!" Levi said it like a last born reporting his sibling to their parent, hoping that Marlise will defend him.
What she replied instead shocked him.
"What house? We have paid the rent for the next six months so you have no right to make claims," She said. Levi looked at Marlise with disbelief. He couldn't believe even she had turned against him. She'd always forgiven him easily from when they were young.
He looked to Mado who had the baby in her arms. The woman just rolled her eyes and continued walking, causing her daughters to follow

"We'll be back. Just make sure you keep your things in the guestroom and I hope you brought the divorce papers," Cherish said.

◇◇◇

After dropping Jay off at school, Cherish couldn't bring herself to go home and face Levi so she headed for Chez Felix Restaurant. Marlise and her mother were on their way to meet her here. They all needed to strategize on how to deal with things.
About 30 minutes later, her mother and sister walked into the restaurant.
Mado had a sleeping Viva over her shoulders.
"What did the doctor say?" She asked as soon as they'd taken their seats.
"She's fine for now but she still needs that surgery," Marlise replied. They all remained silent, contemplating.
"Lets talk about Levi," Mado broke the silence making them to all sit up attentively. Marlise and Cherish looked at each other as if asking who will go first.
"Levi is back, what is your plan Cherish?" Mado stared at Cherish with raised eyebrows.
"I have no plan, he isn't important," Cherish said under her breath, avoiding her mother's eyes.
"He is your husband. Are you reconciling with him?" Mado asked sternly.
"I...i don't know mama," she replied close to tears. Her hands were shaking and her lower lips trembled.
"You better make up your mind," she ended the discussion there and turned to Marlise.
"You, what is your plan? That is your baby's father which connects you two," Mado asked.
Marlise shrugged.
"Mama, I don't want him back if that's what you're asking," She replied.
"I don't want you to fight with your sister over a man. Please, I don't know how but I wish you could give your sister space to figure things out," Mado said.
"I would have loved to disappear but I don't think I would be able to," Marlise said then proceeded to reveal Elad's proposal to her mother and how he had changed his mind. When she was done, Mado said nothing.
"So my chances of saving my daughter is low because the man likes me but he has to protect his marriage. I wish there was a way to convince him," Marlise said sadly. They sat quiet for a while then Cherish spoke.
"But there is a way," she said in a low tone.
Marlise and Mado immediately looked up, their eyes beckoning her to continue.
"Convince him that you like him too. A man would do anything for a woman he likes. I'm sure he started liking you because things are going sour in his marriage, " Cherish said.
"But...but I. don't like him that much. Besides, I would be coming between him and his wife," Marlise replied.
"You want to save your child right? All you need to do is pick up your phone and start telling him of the times you guys spend together. Tell him how you wish you could relieve those moments with him. Don't use the word love. Just enough incentive to capitalise on his existing feelings,"
Cherish continued.
"Mama, are you hearing this?" Marlise turned to her mother who was saying nothing.
"Cherish isn't wrong. A mother has to do everything to secure the future of her child," Mado said.

THANKS FOR READING
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT!