Chapter 20: A baby deal

Marlise's phone rang while she was giving Viva a bath. Cherish who was beside assisting picked the phone from the bedside cupboard.
"Who is it?" Marlise asked absentmindedly, as her attention was focused on wiping the baby.
"Why is Levi calling you?" Cherish asked. Marlise heart skipped and started beating fast. What was she supposed to say?
"Err...I don't know," She feigned disinterest so Cherish will drop it.
"And apparently, its not the first time," Cherish's voice held a hint of anger. Marlise looked up and met her sister's questioning eyes.
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"Your call logs," Cherish replied, turning the phone towards her so she could see the number of times Levi had called her.
"Sis, let me explain," Marlise said.
"Explain that what? That while I've been waiting to hear from my husband, you have been talking with him?" Cherish voice was rising.
"I begged him to call you but I don't know why he won't. I'm not trying to get him back sis, believe me," Marlise begged.
"I don't believe you!" Cherish shouted as tears started to form in her eyes.
"Why would I want him back, he betrayed me. Elad betrayed me! You think I want a relationship now?" Marlise raised her own voice and soon both of them were yelling. The door opened and Mado walked in looking confused.
"What is going on here?" She asked with her hand on her waist.
"Marlise is trying to take Levi from me," Cherish cried. Mado looked from her to Marlise then at Viva who lay on the bed on her towel.
"So because of a man you will allow my grandchild to die of a cold?"
Marlise gasped realizing that she'd just placed the baby but not dressed her up. Mado walked to the bed, gathered the baby in her towel and walked out of the room without saying a word.

When the door closed, Marlise looked at Cherish who was about to blow up steam.
"Cherish," She pleaded.
"Mtcheww!!!" Cherish sucked her teeth and stormed out and banged the door.

Marlise sat on the bed and wiped a tear from her eyes. She had broken the bridge she and her sister were building. Her phone rang. She picked it up without taking note of the name.
"Levi please don't call me again!" She said angrily.
"Its Elad," She heard.
Had she heard well? Her heart beat was out of control and her breathing was coming in too fast. She held the phone against her ear as she tried to think of what to say.
"Marlise?" the voice said again. Elad was on the other end of the phone.
"I know you can hear me. Please say something," Elad said.
"What do you want?" She had mustered courage mixed with anger.
"How have you been?" He asked.
"You tried to steal my baby. That's how I've been, " she accused.
"Yes," he replied calmly.
"You're not even denying it?" Marlise was shocked.
"I would not deny the fact that I and my wife deceived you and for that I apologise. We were so preoccupied with trying to have a child that we took advantage of you. I'm sorry," Elad said calmly. The apology passed over her head like the wind.

"Wow! So why are you calling?" She asked.
"Because I have a proposal for you," Elad said.
"Why would I even listen to you?" She asked.
"Because I can help you. Your daughter is sick," He said.
"How, how did you know?" She asked confused.
"Watte Pharma has connections with most hospitals in Cameroon and I asked the medical records of your daughter to be sent to me," Elad revealed.
"How dare you? So you're spying on me? I have nothing else to say to you," Marlise spat and took the phone off her ear.
"You're a mother and you'll do anything to save your child. Even the money I left for you would not be enough for the heart surgery she has to undergo. Even if its sufficient, do you trust the hospital?" Elad continued.
By this time, she could hear her heart beating loudly in her ears and fear creeping up her body as she recalled the diagnosis of last week.
"Madam, your daughter has a congenital heart disease," The doctor, a nice looking man who always smiled at her when she came with Viva now looked so solemn.
"I don't understand," she'd asked.
"There's a hole in her heart," he explained showing her an x ray but all she could think about was how close she was to losing her child. They had just rushed her to the hospital again after she started choking and gasping for air in the night. As the doctor shared the results, the baby had been on oxygen. Her darling daughter at six months seemed to spend more time in the hospital than at home.

"Did you hear what I said?" Elad's voice brought her back to earth.
"Hmm," she hummed.

"I said Christy and I want you to be our surrogate. We will fly you and your daughter to the US and while she's undergoing treatment, you will carry our baby," Elad said.
"You're really crazy to suggest such nonsense!" Marlise spat.
"Think about your daughter and the great healthcare she'll have in America. Make a decision before it becomes too late for your child," Elad said.
Marlise opened her mouth to say something when a scream pierced through the walls. She sprung up and ran towards Cherish screams coming from the living room.
"Aaaaah! Viva! baby, wake up!"

THANKS FOR READING!
WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THIS CHAPTER?

Caught In between जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें