Chapter 6: A New face

When Marlise got discharged from the hospital the following day, Levi drove her back to the guest house. While in the car, he worried because she would be staying in the same house with her mother, the same woman who had given her concoctions to terminate the pregnancy.

"We found in her system, traces of substances harmful to pregnant women. In two weeks she should return for a clearer scan to confirm the viability of the foetus."

The doctor had told him and he'd relayed the info just to Marlise and begged her to keep it from her mother until they confirmed if she was still pregnant.

He helped her settle into bed because she was very weak. As soon as she lay down, she turned her back to him and he felt instantly rejected.

"I'll be leaving for the West today. Please take care of yourself. Be careful with what you eat," He said softly, lowering his head and kissing her cheek. She still didn't respond.

He stood up and walked out.

His trip to the plantation in the West had come as an impromptu phone call from his father.
"Levi. When was the last time you visited the plantation?" His father asked sternly.
Whenever the man asked a question, he knew he'd done something wrong.
"Err, I call the manager regularly, sir," He replied formally.
"There is a riot going on. Something about salaries. Have they not been paid?" Mr Mutanda asked.
"Sir, there has been a delay due to low production output," Levi replied.

On days like this, he wondered whether he was a son or an employee of the family. Everything had been left to him from the moment he graduated from the University. His father kept using the money of the farms to invest in other ventures that mostly failed. It was one of the main reasons why they were behind schedule in salaries. He was tired of putting out fires.

"I need you to go down there and don't come back until it is resolved," Mr Mutanda commanded.

"Sir. I have a personal matter to attend to," Levi said.

"What could be more personal than your family business?" He asked.
"Nothing sir, I will leave tomorrow, sir," Levi had never been able to argue with the man.
"You're leaving tonight," Mr Mutanda ordered and hung up.

Levi drove home with a heavy heart and it was made worse when he opened his door and met his sister Belle in the living room, one leg suspended on the glass table, painting her toe nails.

"I'm going for a business trip to the West and I'm taking Jay and the maid," he announced on his way to his room.

"Who will cook for us?" Belle called out.
"And the rent is due in three days. Settle it with the landlord. I don't know when I will be back. Also, there's no fuel in the vehicles, " He said feeling the satisfaction of her discomfort.

♡♡♡

The following day in the afternoon, while Marlise rested on the living room couch, Cherish strolled in.
"I heard you lost your baby," She said.
"So you came to gloat?" Marlise asked.
"Its an advantage for me but I still feel bad," She replied, looking sad.
"Stop pretending. You're not sorry!" Marlise shouted.

Their mother walked in at that moment. The hatred between Cherish and her mother was visible from the look that passed between them.

"Good afternoon ma," Cherish said coldy.
"Cherish. What are you doing here?" Mado Asked.
"I came to see my sister, of course," Cherish responded.
"Hmm," Mado snorted and placed a glass of orange juice in front of Marlise.
"Drink," She said. Marlise shook her head. She didn't have appetite for anything.
"Are you planning to starve yourself?" She asked, irritated and walked away.