Part 22

Unable to resist such temptation, you pulled these envelopes out and quickly scanned through their content. Each letter was at least two pages long, hand-written in a beautiful, precise script that you recognized as belonging to Tommy himself.

These letters spanned over months, detailing unspeakable fantasies and admissions of a kind you never imagined him to be capable of expressing.

Tommy's usual cold facade gave way to a longing and vulnerability that struck you deeply as he wrote that he believed he could spend the rest of his life with you, had it not been for the blood they shared. He revealed he often wished to be close to you, but never quite dared to cross that boundary again, held back by the family's needs.

It seemed as though Tommy's thoughts often wandered back to you, even after all this time, grappling with the same questions of affection that had haunted you after you had left for Boston.

A single tear slipped down your cheek as you finally understood the depth of pain that remained between you two after you had separated from one another and just as you folded the letters back up, one by one, you were caught by Tommy himself as he entered his office, looking for you.

"What the fuck are you doing?" he demanded, voice like a whip cracking through the tense atmosphere.

The surprise in his eyes, coupled with the anger, said it all and, as you mustered up the courage to confront him, you held the letters out to him, still trembling in your hands.

"I wanted to find some writing paper and I stumbled upon these. I didn't mean to snoop, but...," you began to plead earnestly, trying to explain yourself in the midst of your shame and guilt. "I saw that they were addressed to me and you never sent them, so I just. . . I got curious."

Swallowing back the lump in your throat, you tried to gauge Tommy's reaction and, as you did, you could almost see the wheels turning in his mind.

"Why didn't you send them?" you then whispered softly, unable to contain your burning curiosity.

"I didn't see the point," Tommy admitted bluntly, snatching the letters out of your hand and tossing them carelessly onto his desk.

"Why not?" you pressed on, eager to understand the reason behind his decision to keep these heartfelt confessions from you.

Tommy paused for a moment, staring at you with an intensity that took your breath away. He looked as if he was wrestling with his own thoughts, whether to tell you the truth or not.

"Because I knew that I could never have you," he said finally, reluctance heavy in his voice.

Tommy's admission left you stunned, and your eyes widened in shock at the raw honesty in his words.

"I was foolish to imagine that we could ever be together," he continued, his voice hoarse as he struggled to conceal his pain.

You stared back at him, unsure of how to respond and, instead of using words, you allowed your actions to speak.

Taking a step forward, you closed the distance between you and wrapped your arms around him, feeling the warmth of his body against yours. You then rested your head against his shoulder, sighing deeply before pressing your lips gently against the soft cotton of his shirt.

"I missed you, Tommy," you whispered softly while Tommy remained still and silent, struggling with the emotions swirling wildly within him before reaching out tentatively to tuck a loose strand of hair behind your ear.

"I missed you too," he eventually confessed, his voice barely audible as sighed deeply, wondering how to move forward from this moment.

"Please, don't pull away from me. Not again," you pleaded, feeling Tommy's muscles tense under your fingertips.