Part 6

You heard a few more footsteps until the door was ripped wide open and you saw her. You looked her straight into the eyes which were filled with anger and you were barely quick enough to cover your naked body with the large white cotton that made up Tommy's bed sheets.

"What is she doing here?" the brunette asked, causing Tommy to sit up and pull up his suit pants which, by this point, he had already gotten rid of simple for the sake of comfort.

"Lizzie, let's talk downstairs, eh" he then said without bothering to put on any other clothing. He approached her as he spoke, but she pulled away from him and spat with anger.

"I cannot believe that you are fucking this whore" she cursed and Tommy immediately lifted his index finger, cautioning her.

"Lizzie, shut up and calm down" Tommy spat before pulling Lizzie into the hallway and shutting the door behind him.

"You don't tell me to shut up Thomas! I am carrying your child and you need to show some fucking respect" Lizzie argued as, slowly, but surely, she followed him downstairs and into his office.

"I will show you some fucking respect when you learn how to respect my guests. Y/N is one of them and I expect you to behave accordingly, eh' Tommy told her angrily while, on the way to his office, lightening himself a cigarette which he retrieved from the pocket in his pants.

"Now tell me Lizzie, what's wrong? Why are you here?" he then asked as, finally, they both reached his office. He took a seat while Lizzie stood in front of him with her arms crossed in protest.

"This woman you brought into your bedroom is a thief. She stole from the safe at the gambling den last night" Lizzie said rather angrily, causing Tommy's eyebrows to furrow.

"How much is missing?" he asked, although he did not really appear to be concerned.

"A lot. About 10,000 pounds. Linda did two counts and we are exactly 10,000 pounds short and I am telling you that it was her. It must have been her" Lizzie tried to allege but, of course, Tommy had your back and chuckled.

"It couldn't have been her Lizzie. She was with the night before, at the library" Tommy explained with a sense of calm in his voice and this frustrated Lizzie even more.

"At the library? She can't even fucking read Tommy" Lizzie spat and Tommy answered her calmly again.

"I am teaching her" he explained and this surprised Lizzie. He really seemed to be making an effort with you and she did not understand why.

"You disgust me" Lizzie said before asking him whether he was in love with you.

"Perhaps I am" Tommy told her calmly again and, when she queried what this meant for her and her baby, Tommy began to think about it. It was not really something he had put his mind to just yet but he knew that, sometime soon, he had to make a decision and Lizzie reminded him of exactly that.

"You are in the run to become a Labour MP and I am not going to keep quiet about the baby being yours. Just keep that in mind when you fuck her" Lizzie threatened him and, as if the threat didn't mean anything to him, he changed the topic. He knew that, ideally, he should be marrying her. It would be the right thing to do and increase his chances during the election. But, even for Tommy, marriage was something reserved for people who were in love and he was certainly not in love with Lizzie. He was in love with you.

***

After twenty minutes of talking to Lizzie about you and the stolen money and a couple of phone calls to Michael and Arthur, Tommy returned to his bedroom and saw that you had gone.

"The lady has left sir. But she did leave a rather cryptic note" Frances said as she noticed from the hallway that Tommy was looking for you.

"A note?" Tommy asked surprised and, when Frances handed it to him, he smiled.

"Gone Home. See you. Love, Y/N" was all it said and, considering that, until most recently, you could not even write out your own name, he was rather impressed by your efforts.

At home, however, you were met by a surprise and when you noticed some light shining through your apartment's window, you pulled out the gun from your handbag which Tommy had given last night simply as a precaution.

Of course, you lacked experience when it came to shooting a gun but carrying and pointing one was often intimidating enough for any intruder to disappear. Thus, you opened the door to your unit just like this, with the gun in your hand, pointing inwards and into the direction of your living room.

"Who is it and what are you doing in my apartment?" you called out and, when you heard a familiar voice greeting you, you quickly lowered your weapon.

"Mother? Jesus! What are you doing here?" you asked as you put your gun away but your mother was furious already.

"What are you doing with a gun?" she yelled at you and, when you explained to her that you were carrying it simply as a precaution, she began to lecture you until you finally interrupted her.

"Can you please tell me why you are here?" you asked her again and she sighed before sitting back down at the kitchen table to sip on her cup of tea.

"I am here to check on you because I received this from a local member of the police. His name is Constable Moss" she told you before handing you letter which informed her that her husband had been found dead. Since he had been missing for a while, his death alone did not really surprise her, but the fact that he was shot was something that came as concern for her.

"You did this, didn't you?" she then immediately alleged, seeing that you were carrying a gun and when you did not answer her right away, she began to yell again. "Answer me!" she demanded, which is when you smiled and shook your head.

"I didn't do jack shit mother" you then said but she didn't believe you.

"You killed him" she thus alleged again and, again, you shook your head.

"No, I didn't. But I am glad that he is dead now. He deserved it and I am thankful to whomever was kind enough to pull the trigger" you then said and, for some reason, she was even more concerned about him having been shot now than before, when she assumed that it was you who had killed him.

"What is wrong with you child? Who did you get yourself involved with?" she asked, panicking, while roaming through the papers and letters scattered across your kitchen table/

"I got myself involved with people who can actually stand up for themselves" was all that you said until, suddenly, your mother picked up your latest pay cheque.

"Shelby Company Limited" she read out loud before giving you yet another lecture.

"I told you to stay away from the factories around here" she told you harshly but you did not want to hear it. You had enough of her trying to protect you after she failed to protect you from the monster who was your stepfather.

"I am not working at the factories, mother. I am working for Thomas Shelby. He has offices in town" you explained to her nonetheless in order to relief her from her concerns but, unbeknownst to you, telling her that you were working for this man himself made her worry even more.

"You must resign immediately" she told you and, when she spoke, it almost sounded like she was giving you an order.

"No" was your response. "I enjoy working for him and won't be resigning" you explained.

"I beg you Y/N, just listen to me this one time. Resign and come back to Camden Town with me" she then begged you almost desperately but, again, you shook your head.

"No. I am done with this life. I like it here. Now please leave" you told her sternly, but she would not relent. This was too important to her and you did not quite know why.

"I am staying here for a few days Y/N. This is my apartment too. I will be departing Sunday afternoon" she then told you, causing you to roll your eyes.

"Fine. You should have the bed then as I have things to do" you told her before grabbing hold of your bag again with the intention to leave.

"Where are you going?" she asked but you did not answer her.

"I won't be gone for long" was all you said before closing the door behind you.