Sometimes I Wonder If The Sky Can See

Start from the beginning

.

.

.

"Mephone's light is on."

Cabby looked down at Balloon, who was fumbling with his hands.

"Maybe the screaming woke him up?"

"It would be best to check.."

Cabby and Balloon made their way over to Mephone's cabin. The yellow light from inside shone through the crack of the door and on to the grass outside. You could hear someone, presumably Mephone, coughing from inside.

"..."

Cabby peered through the window, leaning to the left so Balloon could have some room.

"HOLY SHIT,"

Through the window, Mephone violently shook and trembled on the ground in a fetal position, coughing and wheezing. Dark blue oil pooled out from his gashed wrists. Snapped wires and torn skin also lay in the pool, disgustingly twisted.

Wide eyed, and scratching his wrists with claw-like nails.

It was sick to look at.

Cabby banged against the door and jiggled the handle furiously, "The door is fucking locked! Balloon, call Test Tube or.. someone smart!! I don't know!"

"I- eugh- oh my stars! Alright alright! What if she is asleep!? It's 2:16 AM!"

"It's Test Tube! Of course she's awake at this hour!" Cabby shouted back at Balloon, still going ham with the door handle before considering a different solution.

Cabby heard Mephone giggle from the inside. Not the humorous kind.. it was a sad one.

What the hell happened??? Did he do this to himself??? Did someone (or something..) enter his cabin to assault him????

Balloon began dialling Test Tube's number, taking a few rings for her to pick up. Cabby began trying to kick the door in the meantime, determined to get it open.

Cabby got the entrance to swing open as soon as Test Tube picked up the phone.

Cabby ran to Mephone, screaming and trying to shake him awake. Wide unfocused eyes and sweating oil. Shaking hands gripped her as she tried to hold him upright as he mumbled the same incoherent sentence over and over that she couldn't fully make out.

"'m not.. real.. 'm not.. its not.. real.."

Over,

And over,

and over.

Mephone eventually gave in and leaned fully into her, choking on the air. His eyes darkened, signalling that his systems shut down.

He was a mess.

A fucking mess.

Mephone's blood, the blue oil, didn't help either. It smelled like a gas leak. His entire fucking room was in shambles. The papers on the desk, the floor.. the dusty window blinds that were left untouched..

Cabby picked the machine up, holding him close to her before standing up and making her way to Mephone's bed with his unconscious body to lay him down.

Cabby didn't want to let him go just yet, so she held the shut-off robot in her arms as he equally leaned into her on the mattress.

Balloon got a good look of the inside and of Mephone after calling Test Tube, who agreed to come over as quickly as she could. His hand held up to his nose, sitting besides Cabby on the bed.

They'd probably have to clean the blood and wires tonight or tomorrow morning..

.
.
.
.

Test Tube barged though the door with a massive repair kit, looking around the cabin for Balloon, the one who called her in the first place.

A small 'o' appeared on her mouth as she took in the sight.

"Good golly.."

There wasn't anything else that really needed to be said.

Test Tube made her way over to the 3 of them, avoiding the fresh blue stain on the ground.

"Sheesh. Well, you guys can let me deal with this.. Uhm.. you can leave if you want.." Test Tube said, already starting to pull out various tools from her kit, not making eye contact with either Cabby or Balloon.

Cabby let go of the robot, laying him in a more comfortable position before sitting up to leave.

"Actually, before you leave, one more question," Test Tube asked,

"Do you know how this happened?"

Cabby shared a look with Balloon.

"..not entirely sure on how it happened. We heard screaming and it turned out it came from Mephone's cabin. While Balloon was trying to call you he was muttering the same sentence over and over again. I don't exactly have the best hearing and I couldn't.. Uhm.. make out what he was saying. Pretty sure it was a panic attack. What it was about, I have no clue. He was frantic and.. whats the word.. jittery? I don't know why or HOW he ended up like that, but maybe ask him if he's comfortable with it if he wakes up." Cabby replied.

"If?" Balloon looked up at Cabby with an open mouth.

"...I meant 'when'. When he wakes up, of course." Cabby nervously laughed while backing up, trying to exit.

Balloon followed her, and Test Tube began her work on repairing Mephone.

.
.
.

"So? What was that screaming about?"

"You both reek of oil."

Silver Spoon and Nickel were huddled together in the blanket that Balloon had left behind earlier, watching some reality TV show on a laptop.

"..." Cabby looked at Balloon.

"It was a wild animal. Nothing too big." Balloon replied as naturally as he could.

"That doesn't explain why you guys were gone for 30 minutes." Nickel raised an eyebrow.

"We had to ask Mephone to help us handle it. He got bit by the animal so the challenges may be delayed for a bit, but it's alright now!" Balloon lied, smiling as small droplets of sweat formed on his forehead.

"So it's gone? And there'll be no more unbearable shrieking?"

"It should be."

"Cool. So, are you two going to bed, or do you want to watch this show with us?"

"...which show is it?"

=====
(1373 words!!)