CHAPTER 4

My heart hammered in my chest, as our eyes made contact. My fur stood up on end, as I hovered there. My ears folded backward, my mouth agape and my hands shook. Everything in my body and soul was screaming for me to get the fuck out, but I forced myself to remain there.

I couldn't abandon Heitor and it took every ounce of my willpower to have me stay there.

The figure approached, its shadow shaped by the light inside, as I only saw its icy eyes look through me.

"I thought I killed that demon once and for all," It spoke, in a raspy. "And yet, here it is, before me once again."

I looked to Heitor, who stood by the side. His back plastered to the wall, the rifle in his hands.

I remained silent, looking at it.

"Speechless?" It asked, raising up a hand, it grew out, talons unsheathing themselves. "A creature of few words?" It chuckled.

It stepped off the porch and a flash lit up the creature with a thunderous crack ringing out in the night. For a split second, I saw a hole in its coat open as the bullet would bounce off its hide, rolling into the grass.

The creature turned to Heitor, pulling back the bolt. He backed away, Heitor baring his teeth.

"What the fuck are you?" Heitor asked, firing another round, it bouncing off as well.

I tried to focus on the creature, willing it aside but it was like trying to move a mountain and it refused to budge.

"The wicked man fleeth, when no man pursueth," The creature said, grabbing the rifle and throwing it aside from Heitor with its free hand, raising its claw to him. "But the just, bold as a lion, shall be without dread."

My eyes saw the front door as I focused it and pulled it towards me. Before the creature could bear its might down on him, I flung the door into him as it shattered into splinters, its hat falling onto the ground.

"Get out of here, Heitor!" I shouted, my hand holding its self out as the creature recoiled, Heitor rolling away and grabbing his rifle.

It turned to me, a fury glowing in its eyes.

"Finally, it faces me," It turned to me. I heard the engine of the Jeep turn. "I'll find your amigo after this after you return to the depths from whence you came."

It charged at me, its hand raised up over its head.

I flew away, Heitor turning his Jeep around and following me, tires squealing. I went over the trees as I saw the moonlight reflected in a distant body of water.

The Savannah River!

I flew down to Heitor. "Head towards the west!" I cupped my hand to my snout, pointing to the river.

"Got it!" Heitor said.

I looked back, and I saw the creature sprinting towards Heitor's Jeep.

I flew down to the road, between Heitor and the creature. I slowed down, cocked my legs back and thrust my feet into the thing's gut.

It stumbled as I found myself supine on the ground, my legs aching.

"Hmph, an old trick from the old man," The creature said, as I saw a stream of blue going down its maw. "Shame on me, then." It chuckled.

I scrambled back into the air, rolling as I looked down. It got back on its feet and ran towards me, growling. It leapt at me and I bolted upward before I felt its slimy grip at my ankle, its talons digging into my skin.

I descended as my gaze when down to see its maw open. I screamed and lashed my tail into its maw. The creature hissed before it fell back to Earth.

I heard the rush of water, and Heitor was approaching the water.