CHAPTER 3

I barely got any sleep last night, suffice to say. After staring at the ceiling all night, I fell asleep just before the crack of dawn. Mercifully, I did not dream, even if when I closed my eyes, I saw the face of that fucking thing with its large eyes looking at me like I was a juicy steak.

My all-too-brief sleep was interrupted by the buzzing of my phone on my dresser beside my bed. I stirred, grabbing it. I brought it to my eyes before flashbanging myself with the light of the phone, as I reeled back.

My eyes adjusting to the light, I saw I had two text messages. One from Heitor and another from Dad.

"Don't forget to call me sometime soon, son!" Dad's message said.

I would keep that in mind for later.

"Hey, you alright?" Heitor asked.

"Yeah, couldn't sleep good last night." I typed in, sending it.

I got a reply back soon enough. "I'll have a coffee ready for you, just get your ass over here!"

I got up and rubbed the back of my head. After combing my hair a bit to tame it, I put my hair into a ponytail as I got up. I took a shower and put on some clean clothes and put on my boots.

I walked into the living room and I saw Ephraim on the couch, with a cup of ice water in his hands. My nephew sat next to him, with our black cat Messier resting on Ephraim's lap. They were watching the TV as they watched something on the Disney Channel.

"You look like poop." Ephraim said, looking up at me.

"I know I do." I said, frowning.

"I didn't hear you playing any games last night," Ephraim shook his head. "Had a hard time sleeping?"

"Obviously." I crossed my arms.

"Whatever," Ephraim sighed. "I guess you're going out for a bit?"

I nodded.

"Eh," Ephraim sipped his water. "Mom's being questioned by police about last night, so she'll be home late, so she wanted me to tell you that we'll have to take care of ourselves tonight."

"Alright." I nodded.

"Just let me know if you're coming home or not, I don't care what you do out there," Ephraim held his hand up. "Just so I have to order some extra pizza."

"I love pizza!" Niall said, raising his hands.

"I know you do, kid." Ephraim ruffled Niall's head as Messier's eyes opened as they looked up at me, his little green eyes.

"I know your pain, little kitty." I said to Messier.

"You have fun, then," Ephraim said, sipping his water. "Sorry about last night."

"Apology accepted." I shrugged before I left out the door.

As I got out the door, I ran to the nearest bus stop, paid my fare and soon, I would be dropped off at Goldcrest.

The sun shone on Goldcrest Kindercroft Academy, the brilliant white symmetrical building with its domed roof looming over me. Its two dorms were separate, the boys living on the west side and the girls living on the east side. The entrance was a brick road flanked by evenly spaced out trees, as I walked down towards the western dorm.

I passed by a few souls, as I sighed. I thanked whatever deity was around as Stanley no longer lived here when his folks moved over from Oklahoma, as I entered the dorm.

I still looked left and right, just in case one of his goons would attack me.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I went to the hall. The western dorm had wooden paneling, and the hall and I saw my reflection on the white tiled floor. I took an elevator to the second floor where Heitor lived.