six

NOV 7TH, 2038

AM 02:53

THE RIDE TO HANKS was incredibly awkward. Connor and I sat side by side, not exchanging a single word. The taxi quickly came to a halt in front of Hank's house.

"You have arrived at your destination. Thank you for traveling with Detroit Taxis. We look forward to seeing you again soon." Connor was the first to leave the taxi, with me slowly following behind him; no, it.

The house was quaint with a gray brick foundation. Connor walked up the steps and knocked, "Lieutenant Anderson?" I stayed back a ways, keeping my distance. After a few seconds of silence, Connor rang the bell, "Anybody home?" Connor held the bell again, but for a couple of seconds longer, the sound wore out my ears.

"I think we need to find another way in," I suggested. Connor turned around to face me, his- its lips pressed into a fine line. It stepped down and went around the house to look through windows. I trailed behind.

"Detective, Lieutenant Anderson is incapacitated." Connor directed my vision into the window. I pressed my hands against it to get a better view, and sure enough, Hank appeared passed out on the kitchen floor. Without giving any time to think, Connor smashed the window with its elbow. I jumped back, startled.

Connor took a few steps back, almost bumping into me, and jumped through the broken window. I could hear him roll on the glass as he landed, and for the first time that night, I was thankful to have an android as my partner. I peered through the window, "Easy, uhm, Sumo!" Connor crawled on his back as Hank's Saint Bernard approached, "I'm your friend, see? I know your name. I'm here to save your owner." Sumo walked away to his food dish.

"Can you unlock the door for me? I don't want to jump through a window." Connor got up and made its way to the front door, unlocking it, but not without sparing a glance towards Hank's unconscious body. I ran around the house to the front and entered.

Connor was already crouched down beside Hank when I got inside. Its LED whirled yellow as it analyzed him. "Lieutenant?" Connor gently smacked Hank's face, and Hank grumbled accordingly. "Wake up, Lieutenant!" He slapped Hank across the face, "It's me, Connor!"

Connor gestured for me to come to help Hank up, "We're going to sober you up for your safety." Connor sat Hank upright, "Hey, leave me alone, fucking android!" He drunkenly slurred. "I have to warn you, this may be unpleasant." Hank's eyes seemed to dart between Connor and I, "Get the fuck out of my house!"

"I'm sorry Lieutenant, but we need you." I wrapped an arm around the other side of Hank. "Thank you in advance for your cooperation." I laughed at Connor's robotic response. "Hey! Get the fuck out of here!" Hank shook his head and slumped down, but I pulled him back up.

We walked together guiding Hank towards the bathroom. "Sumo! Attack!" Hank commanded, but all Sumo did was bark. Hank smiled, "Good dog, attack!" Connor and I reached the bathroom, I used my spare hand to open the door. "Fuck, I think I'm going to be sick," Hank mumbled as Connor held him.

"Oh, leave me alone you assholes! I'm not going anywhere..." His words faded towards the end in his drunken stupor. Hank clung to the doorframe, but with enough force, we managed to yank him away. Connor sat him on the bathtub's edge, "What the hell are you doing?" Hank sounded very confused, "I don't want a bath, thank you," Hank waved Connor off, but Connor shoved him into the tub.

"Sorry, Lieutenant, but it's for your good." Connor turned on the water, and immediately Hank started to flail around screaming, "TURN IT OFF!" He shouted. Connor obliged, turning the water off. Hank gasped repeatedly, his mouth agape.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Hank glanced at the two of us, his face scrunched in bewilderment. Connor loomed over him, "A homicide was reported 43 minutes ago. Considering the hour, we figured you were at home." Hank pulled himself up and sat on the edge of the tub, "Jesus, I must be the only cop in the world who gets assaulted by his android in his own fucking house." Hank looked up, shaking his head, "Can't you just leave me alone?"

Connor blinked for a moment, "Unfortunately, I cannot. I've been programmed to investigate this case and we can't do it without you." Hank sputtered, "I don't give a shit about your goddamn case!" I tilted my head in concern, "Lieutenant, you're not yourself. You should-" Hank cut me off, "Beat it! You hear me? Get the hell out of here!"

Hank stood up, still swaying a bit. Connor reached for his sides to gently put him back down on the tub's edge. Hank stared down at the tile, "I understand," Connor started, "It probably wasn't interesting anyway, a man found dead in a sex club downtown..." Connor ambled out of the bathroom, "Guess they'll have to solve the case without us." I understood what it was up to and followed behind.

"You know, it probably wouldn't do me any harm to get some air. There's some clothes in the bedroom there." Hank held a hand to his stomach. "I'll go get them." I offered, glancing at Connor, who nodded in approval.

I made my way to Hank's bedroom and opened his closet. I stared at the options, "What do you want to wear?" I shouted out. Hearing a faint 'whatever' from the bathroom, I decided to pick a stripy shirt. When I returned to the bathroom Hank was hunched over the toilet throwing up.

Connor was watching, leaning on the doorframe, "Are you alright, Lieutenant?" I set the clothes down on the sink's counter. "Yeah, yeah... Wonderful. Just uh, give me five minutes." I nodded, exiting the bathroom.

I decided to explore Hank's house a little, and apparently, Connor thought to do the same. "Oo! Michigan Brothers, Hank's got good taste." I observed the vinyl record. Connor seemed more preoccupied with the gun on the kitchen floor. I knew what Hank had been doing before we showed up. He's lucky we didn't find him with a bullet in his head.

Sumo whined at me while I stared at the TV. It was playing some news about President Warren and whatever Russia was doing. I went over to give Sumo some pets, and Hank walked out in his stripy shirt. He glanced over to where I was, "Be a good dog, Sumo, I won't be long."