one

NOV 6TH, 2038

AM 09:56

THE DETROIT PRECINCT was not a beautiful place. Sure, the city could be pretty, but the lack of colors in the building wasn't reassuring. It was bleak. I walked through the doors, greeting the receptionist, who didn't pay much mind to me. I made my way to the elevator and watched the floor number glow.

The elevator started to go up, and my phone buzzed. My eyes glazed over the screen; dad was calling me. I had time, so I answered.

"Hey, dad." I started, licking my chapped lips as I anticipated a reply.

"Hey, kid. Listen, have you got any information over in your department regarding androids? We're not handling it here, but rumors have been going around." He got straight to the point, as he tended to do. My dad never wasted time, as he was always there when needed.

"Hm, not yet. Though today might be the day some poor fuck is assigned it." A light chuckle came through on the other line, "Let's hope it isn't you!" Dad teased me before wishing me goodbye and hanging up.

I put my phone away and exited the elevator, heading toward the break room to get my morning coffee. Gavin Reed was already sitting at the table in the break room, an extra cup of coffee next to him.

"Sup' Gavin, you got me coffee?" I pointed out the cup next to him. He nodded, a kind smile on his features. Gavin wasn't usually the type to get you coffee, but occasionally he had good moments. I pulled a seat up next to him.

"Thanks, man, appreciate it." I nodded before taking a quick swig of coffee. Gavin muttered his welcome.

"Well, I have to go to my desk. I have shit to do already." Our time together in the break room was short, but that's how it was. Gavin nodded while standing up. I had to figure out if I was assigned any deviant cases.

I walked over to my desk, placing down the cup next to my terminal. A hum left me as I sat down. I booted up the terminal and started scrolling through case files.

"Excuse me." A voice startled me. I turned to see a rather handsome android. I cleared my throat, "Can I help you?" I asked, his eyes scanning me.

"Yes, would you know where Lieutenant Anderson's desk is?" I nodded, pointing to a desk across the way.

"You'll be lucky if he shows up before noon. It depends on where he was the night before." I shrugged. The android's LED whirled yellow for a moment before returning to its radiant blue. Now that I had a closer look at him, I noticed small features that made him seem more human. The guys at CyberLife do not fuck around when it comes to accuracy.

The android thanked me politely and walked over, presumably to wait for Hank. I didn't get its name, but I knew I would likely know it through office rumors.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Gavin making his way toward me. Although, he stopped briefly to stare at the android waiting at Hank's desk. I could hear him snort before returning to me.

"Look at that, a plastic doll waiting for Hank." His cocky demeanor never seemed to cease when it came to androids. I had previously noticed Gavin's disdain for them.

"It's nice, Gavin. It hasn't done anything wrong." I rolled my eyes. Gavin turned to me, a little more confused this time. I never outwardly expressed my fondness for androids around Gavin, so it wasn't surprising he'd have such a look.

"Why do you like these fuckers?" His eyebrows furrowed. A short huff sounded from me.

"I always thought they were cool, and dad hated them. I wanted to become a software engineer, but here I am." Gavin hummed in thought, his furrowed brows softened. As much as Gavin tried to put on a tough guy persona, he took what was said to heart.

"Y/N! HANK! GET IN HERE." Captain Fowler's yelling sounded throughout the bullpen. I sighed and stood up from my desk. Gavin carefully watched as I walked over to the captain's office, Hank and the android trailing not far behind.

"Every day, I've got ten new cases involving androids on my desk. But we've always had isolated incidents, old ladies losing their android maids, and that kind of crap. But now we're getting reports of assaults and even homicides, like that guy last night. It isn't just CyberLife's problem anymore. It's now a criminal investigation, and we've got to deal with it before the shit hits the fan. I want you to investigate these cases and see if there's any link." The captain was not happy to assign us the case. I wondered why they chose me, not just Hank and the android.

"Why me? Why do I get to be the one to deal with this shit? I am the least qualified cop in the country to handle this case! I know jack shit about androids, Jeffrey! I can barely change the settings on my phone." Ah, that's why I was assigned to the case then. Hank was upset, to say the least, about this case. Fowler was just as upset, more so with Hank's behavior.

"Everybody's overloaded. I think you're perfectly qualified for this type of investigation." Hank was not pleased to hear that. He fired up more and more as their back and forth continued.

"Bullshit! The truth is that nobody wants to investigate these fuckin' androids, and you left me holdin' the bag!" A soft hum escaped me before I could process it. I found it oddly interesting how much Hank was fighting this.

"CyberLife sent over this android to help with the investigation. It's a state-of-the-art prototype. It'll act as your partner, so don't break Connor. I also assigned Detective Perkins to the case because he's knowledgeable in android programming." Captain Fowler briefly directed his sight to me before returning them to Hank.

"No fuckin' way! I don't need a partner, and certainly not this plastic prick!" Fowler was continuously stirring the pot in Hank's head. Hank tapped his foot repetitively in agitation. I almost felt bad for Connor, as I had learned. The folks at CyberLife were right; he certainly looked like a Connor.

"Hank, you are seriously starting to piss me off! You are a police lieutenant. You are supposed to do what I say and shut your goddamn mouth!" Fowler slammed his fist on his desk. I jumped slightly. I never liked loud noises. Often, they were sudden, like how Fowler was just now.

"You know what my goddamn mouth has to say to you, huh?" I cringed at Hank's words. He's lucky that Captain Fowler is a lot nicer than most captains would be in this situation.

"Ok, ok... I'll pretend like I didn't hear that, so I don't have to add any more pages to your disciplinary folder 'cause it already looks like a fuckin' novel! This conversation is over!" I wasn't surprised to hear about Hank's disciplinary folder, as he always had a temper. I was ready to leave, but Hank still had a lot to say.

"Jeffrey, Jesus Christ! Why are you doin' this to me? You know how much I hate these fuckin' things. Why you doin' this to me?" Hank was more desperate at this point. I wondered why Hank had such hatred for androids.

"Listen, I've had just about enough of your bitching. Either you do your job, or you hand in your badge. Now, excuse me, I've got work to do." Fowler went back to staring at the paperwork on his desk. Hank stormed out of his office. I was ready to leave, but Connor had something to say.

"I'm very pleased to have joined the team. I can assure you I'll do my very best-" Connor was more positive towards the situation, no matter how grim it looked for him. Captain Fowler cut him off.

"Close the door on your way out." Connor opened the door for me, allowing me to leave first. I nodded politely at Connor, showing my appreciation.

"Have a nice day, captain!" He called out before closing the door. I started to head back to my desk, and Connor headed toward Hank's desk.

I could only hear small bits of Connor and Hank's conversation. I didn't expect Hank to pin Connor against the wall connecting to the desk. I rushed over, trying to de-escalate the situation.

"Woah, Hank! I didn't think you'd be kinky with Connor in the office." My plan worked, and Hank turned around to direct his anger at me instead. Chris came over before Hank could do anything.

"Lieutenant. Uh, sorry to disturb you. I have some information on the AX400 that attacked the guy last night. Someone saw it in the Ravendale district." Ben awkwardly stood there, unsure of the situation at hand. Hank glared at me before turning to Ben.

"I'm on it." He grumbled out. Hank turned the walk out of the station, Connor and I following him.