Layer 12

First, Ken apologized. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ignore you. It's just...I needed space if I didn't want to go crazy."

Leila simply stared, waiting for him to go on since she had no idea what he meant.

"At the basketball game, you said you liked me. It made me happy. But..." He smiled sardonically. "I let it get to my head."

"I still don't..." she trailed off.

"I like you too, Leila." Her heart warmed, but it just as quickly went cold at his next words. "But our likes are different."

So there it was. "Oh..."

"I find everything about you adorable. There isn't anyone else who makes me feel calm and filled with butterflies at the same time. When you're cold and climb into my lap without any hesitation, I lose my thoughts."

...Huh? "Wait, what?"

As if she hadn't spoke, he continued fervently, "The way you smile and don't hesitate to approach the moment you see me...the way we can talk for hours without getting bored...and the way we meet up for no reason except to hangout just for the sake of it...all of it makes me feel...special. That's the issue. I'm not special, but I wish I was."

Leila frowned and reached towards him, placing her hand on his. Ken was startled by the touch and looked at her face in question.

"Ken," she said, "you're kinda clueless, aren't you?"

He was flabbergasted. "Huh?"

"Every single thing that you listed out, you're the only guy I've done those with. If that isn't the definition of special, then I don't know what is."

His brows furrowed. "But...the only reason why we're like this is because I can keep you warm. You would've gotten along with any other guy like me."

She sighed. "I've been this way my whole life, so there have been plenty of guys who've offered to keep me warm, but I've never allowed anyone to get as close to me as you. Don't you get it? There is no other guy like you. That's exactly why I like you." Her frown persisted. "And from the sounds of it, you like me too, so I don't see the problem."

It took a moment for Ken to find his voice. "You...like me?"

"That's what I've been saying."

"As a man? Not as something to just keep you warm?"

She laughed. "By that logic, I'd be in love with my bed. Where did you get the idea I like you just for your body heat anyway?"

He hesitated to reveal his true thoughts, but determined there was no point in keeping it secret anymore. "When I saw you walking with my friends, you warmed up to them pretty quick, and I assumed it was because they were able to keep you...well, warm."

Again, Leila laughed weakly in incredulity. "I warmed up to them because they were your friends."

Ken merely stared at her as he finally realized how impulsive and immature his past actions had been. All he could respond with was another apology.

"Sorry."

Leila smiled. Now that their misunderstanding was cleared, the tension left her body, causing her fatigue from the fever to return. Her eyes drooped shut as she asked, "Is that all you want to say?"

The next moment, Ken held her hand in his in a firm yet soft grip and with his other hand, he pulled the blanket up to her shoulders, making sure she was fully covered.

"I like you," he sighed. "I really like you, Leila."

"Me too," she murmured.

Something soft pressed against her forehead, and in the recesses of her consciousness, she heard his last words before drifting off.

"Get well soon."

While Leila fell asleep, Ken stared down at her, brushing the back of her hand with his thumb. Even as she laid sick in front of him, he felt more euphoric than he ever had in his life.

Their feelings were mutual. She hadn't grown to hate him for his mistake. And she was willing to be with him.

Ken brought her hand up to his lips and kissed it, closing his eyes and savoring the feel of her skin, coming to understand why she so desperately sought for warmth during the winter cold.