Layer 11

It had been an hour since Winnie left her dorm room to attend classes, and the worry on her face must've been obvious because her friend, Olivia, asked if there was something going on. When she mentioned that Leila was sick, Miles couldn't help but overhear.

After their last parting, they hadn't spoken to each other, but when it came to their mutual classes, they interacted as usual. But Miles wasn't an idiot. He knew he had fucked up and should apologize. However, he also knew now was an appropriate time. That didn't mean he should just let the newly learned information be lost to the wind though.

And so, he texted Ken.

Leila felt gross. She was both covered in sweat yet unwilling to toss off the blankets atop of her due to uncontrollable shivering. At least once every winter, she got sick, so she always did her best to stay healthy during the cold season, but unfortunately, it was inevitable.

Winnie had insisted on staying to take care of her, but Leila didn't want her to miss classes just because of a fever, so she forced her out of the room. In fact, it was better that she was gone. That way, the chances of her getting infected would be lower.

As Leila continued to lay in bed and try to fall asleep, her phone rang. She assumed it was Winnie checking in on her and answered without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?" she answered raspily.

"Leila?"

The voice surprised her. "Ken?"

"Sorry. Were you sleeping?"

What reason would he have to call her now of all times? "Trying to."

"Do you have any meds? Or something to eat?"

"I don't know," she murmured. She had been too tired to get out of bed.

"I'll go buy some. I'll be there in about twenty minutes. Is that okay?"

Leila could've refused. She should've. But her mouth responded before her head could reason with herself. "Okay."

Ken hung up, and seventeen minutes later, there was a knock on her door. Leila wrapped the blanket around her body and dragged it along as she went to open the door, revealing Ken. He was breathing heavily and holding a few plastic bags from the convenience store on campus.

"Leila," he breathed at the sight of her and entered, dropping the bags and letting the door shut behind him. Then, without hesitation, he picked her up into his arms and brought her back to her bed. Leila would've been more surprised at his smooth actions if she weren't so sick. "How are you feeling?"

"Horrible," she admitted. He laid her down and began wiping her hair away from her sweaty face. Leila frowned and moved her head away from his hand. "Don't touch me. I feel disgusting."

To her surprise, he quietly chuckled and caressed her cheek. "You are not."

Then he stood and went to collect his bags, washing his hands before taking out their contents and putting them on her kitchen counter. Leila saw that he had bought medication, sports drinks, bottled water, fruits, and microwavable chicken noodle soup. There was no need for him to buy so much...yet he had.

"Have you taken any medicine yet?" he asked.

"No," she replied.

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

"Thirsty?"

"A little."

Ken brought two round tablets as well as water and a sports drink, untwisting both the bottle caps so she could easily open them on her own. After offering them to her, she accepted the sports drink and took a measly sip to help swallow the pills while he placed the water on her bedside table and sat beside her. He watched over her with gentle eyes, making her feel self-conscious.

"How did you know I was sick?" she asked.

"I heard from Miles who heard from Winnie."

Leila stared at him for several seconds. "Why?"

"Hm?"

"Why are you here?" He was confused by her question, so she laid it out for him. "We haven't spoken in weeks, but I get sick and you decide to drop everything to come take care of me?"

Ken stiffened and finally looked away in guilt. His reaction riled her up just as it made her feel more lifeless.

"I think we should stop," she continued, feeling something in her chest wither. "Otherwise, I'm going to misunderstand again."

For a moment, Ken looked as if he agreed and was about to stand and oblige to her words. However, he suddenly whipped his head to look at her in alarm.

"Misunderstand?"

Leila looked away. "Don't make me embarrass myself even more."

"No. Wait. What do you mean you will misunderstand? I'm the one who had misunderstood."

Now it was her turn to be confused. "What are you talking about?"