Layer 4

Whether it was out of coincidence or because of the cold weather—or maybe a little bit of both—wherever Leila went, she noticed Ken more and more. Sometimes they were waiting at the same bus stop. Other times, they saw each other in passing on campus. And of course, living in the same dorm meant they would frequently see each other there as well. Regardless, the moment she saw him, the urge to run up to him was strong. And each time, he'd welcome her with a warm smile, and sometimes, with even warmer clothes.

He was like an oasis in a blizzard. How could she have lived the past three winters without him?

At the moment, the two of them were eating breakfast in the dorm cafeteria. Leila's plate was filled with pancakes and fruit while Ken ate stacks of sausages, eggs, and bacon—plus a bowl of cereal.

Their conversations never got tedious or boring, somehow always flowing from one topic to the next. And even when the subject became dry, there was never an awkward air between them. Meeting Ken so late in her university life really was regretful. They had so many chances throughout the years to meet each other, especially because of their roommates.

"What's the deal with them anyway?" Leila asked. "Winnie might have a resting bitch face, but she's actually really warm and welcoming. And Miles doesn't seem like a bad guy."

"He's not," Ken said, "I think their first impression of each other went wrong and it just stuck through the years."

"But even with people Winnie doesn't like, she's never treated them the way she treats Miles."

"I could say the same about Miles when it comes to Winnie."

Leila sighed and tilted her head. After a pause, she quipped, "They bicker like an old married couple."

Ken chuckled. "Glad I'm not the only one who noticed."

"With the two of us hanging out more, I'm sure they'll come around."

"Funny you mention that. I invited Miles to join us for breakfast, but he refused in case Winnie showed up."

Leila grinned. "Winnie refused for the exact same reason too!"

They shared a loud laugh, the noise causing heads to turn. Immediately, they quieted down, but their faces still held traces of amusement.

"Turns out they're a lot alike, huh?" Ken remarked.

Behind her hand, Leila chuckled in agreement. "Good thing our first impression went well. Otherwise, we'd probably be like them."

"To be honest, I'm glad you didn't think I was some creep when I offered my coat."

In the past, there had been other guys who offered their coats or sweaters to Leila. While she appreciated the gestures at first, it turned out they were simply used as disguises for unwanted advances.

"It helps that you didn't try to get anything out of me afterwards. Usually a guy would use it as an excuse to get my number or something more. Which reminds me, we should exchange numbers. That way, we can schedule hangouts without having to be spontaneous."

The only reason they knew to meet each other this morning was because Leila suggested it last night when they saw one another by coincidence—again. After just a few weeks, they were close enough to be considered friends, so they had no qualms about giving each other their phone numbers.

"Plus it'd help when I need to return your clothes," she added sheepishly. "In fact, I think I have two of your sweaters in my dorm right now. How about we swing by my room so I can give them back to you?"

"I'm not in a rush to get them back."

"No, no, no. If you spoil me too much, I'll forget to return your sweaters at all and they'll just pile up in my room."

Leila was joking, but she knew her words were also partly true. She had properly washed his sweaters after wearing them the first time, but to continue wearing them afterwards just felt weird since the clothes technically weren't hers—even though she was admittedly tempted to do so. Something about Ken's clothes just felt so comfortable. Maybe she should shop for sweaters more often in the men's section.

Ken smiled at her brisk yet lighthearted refusal. "Then let's go after this."

They finished up their meals and headed to her dorm room. Ken opted to stand in the hallway since he wasn't sure if Winnie would appreciate him barging in without notice. Leila couldn't believe she hadn't thought of the same thing since she already considered him a close friend. On the other hand, Winnie saw Ken as a suspicious guy due to his association with her archnemesis.

"I'll be right back," Leila said with a smile.

When she entered her room, Winnie was wide awake and studying atop her bed. "How was your breakfast date?"

Leila knew her friend was teasing her, but she decided to play along. "Great! I always have a good time with Ken."

She took out his sweaters from her closet and headed back towards the door. Winnie curiously trailed behind her and stood on the other side of the door to listen in on her friend's conversation.

"Thanks again for the sweaters."

"No problem. But honestly, you could've kept them for when you needed them."

Leila clicked her tongue and jokingly scolded, "You're trying to spoil me again."

Ken chuckled. "I'll admit, it's cute when you waddle around in the snow, but knowing you're suffering while doing so makes me want to help you with what little I can."

For a split second, Leila's heart hitched, but she brushed it away. There had been instances when she had been hit on, but unlike those times, Ken's words were innocent with no other intent behind them. Still, she was only human, so being called cute by a guy who was cute himself made her a little flustered.

"Aww, you're so sweet, Ken."

He was taken aback by the compliment and seemed to be speechless for a few seconds. "I, uh...no problem?"

The tips of his ears became red, but Leila pretended she didn't see and pressed her lips together to stop herself from smiling. After that, they said their farewells and she headed back into her room. Waiting at the other side of the door was Winnie, who looked both amused and conflicted.

"Were you eavesdropping?" Leila asked.

"Of course I was," she openly admitted. "I had to know if I have to prepare myself."

"For what?"

With a click of her tongue, Winnie turned around, walking back to her bed. "For whether I'll be seeing that prick's face around more often."

His name wasn't needed for Leila to know exactly who she was talking about. Besides, there was only one guy who could make her curse his existence so blatantly. As for seeing his face more often, Leila couldn't help but wonder whether her friend could see him any more than she already did, considering Winnie and he who must not be named were in the same major in the same year taking the same classes.

Regardless, Leila didn't bring it up and kept her mouth shut.