Layer 9

She likes me? What does that mean?

Ken couldn't stop thinking about Leila's words. The way she so easily said she liked him made his heart race, but at the same time, he wondered if she meant it the way he thought she meant it. He could've gotten a better explanation if his stupid self had asked, but instead, his mind blanked, and the only words that came out of him was, "Oh...I see."

For some reason, Leila merely giggled at his response before continuing to treat him the same as before. After the game ended, there were a few others who rode the same bus as them, so Ken didn't get the opportunity to speak to Leila privately again.

When they arrived at their dorm room, Miles noticed he was distracted and said, "Sorry Ken. Did we joke too much with Leila? I'll make sure the guys apologize."

"No," he mumbled, "She didn't care."

Miles assumed the worst and looked remorseful. "Damn. I'm sorry to hear that, man."

"She said she likes me."

"I don't think she's entirely immune to you. I mean, she rushed onto the court when she thought you were injured. And she stuck by your side the whole time afterwards too. You still have a chance..." Miles paused and did a double take, his eyebrows twisted into a near swirl. "Wait. What did you say?"

Ken blankly met his gaze. "Leila...she said she likes me."

Miles smacked him on the back, causing him to wince. "What the hell? I was worried for nothing!" He took Ken by the shoulders and shook him. "Why didn't you say so sooner? Congrats, man! I knew there was something between you two!" Though he at first laughed in celebration, he quickly noticed that Ken didn't share his joy. "What? What's wrong?"

"I..." Ken hesitated. "What do you think she means when she says she likes me?"

A dull expression passed over Miles' face—unable to believe how dense his friend was—and he turned around. "I'm heading to bed."

"Hi Ken."

Ken twitched and turned to see Leila walk up to him. It had been a few days since they'd last seen each other, but he hadn't been able to stop thinking about her.

The weather was only going to get colder and colder since December was just around the corner, and Leila was in full penguin gear. The little pompom of her hat bounced with every step she took, making Ken want to bundle her up in his arms.

"Hey Leila."

Seeing her up close, he noticed that behind her scarf, her cheeks were pink from both the cold and heat. His heart started jumping in excitement of both the sight of her and her proximity. Though he was practically panicking, Leila sidled up to his side as usual, snuggling against his warmth. Like a reflex, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, sharing his heat.

She sighed in bliss and said, "I can't wait for winter to be over."

He chuckled. "It's just started."

Leila looked up, her big eyes peering at him through long lashes. "What're you gonna do during winter break?"

"Head back home and relax. But I'm sure a couple of the guys want to meet up for a few games of basketball since they need practice for the season. What about you?"

"My family's heading to Florida for vacation."

"That'll be nice for you. No snow, only warm temperatures."

Her eyes squinted from grinning. "Definitely."

"Considering how much you hate the cold, ever think about moving to somewhere with no snow?" he asked, the question causing an ache in his chest.

Leila thought about it. "Not really. My family's here, as well as my friends. And I might hate the cold, but the snow's pretty. Besides, once I'm done with school, I won't have to worry so much about walking through snowy streets and waiting at freezing bus stops."

Relief washed over him, but it wasn't even a guarantee that they'd see each other after university. And yet, just knowing she was close meant the possibility of meeting up was higher than if she were out of state.

"Hey, it's Ken and Leila!"

The two of them turned to see a pair of Ken's friends from the basketball game. They also lived in the same dorm building and had rode the same bus after the game, chatting with Leila and getting to know her.

Leila blinked and pointed at them, taking a moment to remember their names. "Ricky and Nicholas, right? Nice seeing you guys again."

They eyed Leila's and Ken's positions with curious gazes and Nicholas remarked, "Cold weather, huh?"

"Well, it is November," she chuckled.

For some reason, Ken started getting a bad feeling. Not because of his friends. They were good people and would never do anything to make anyone feel uncomfortable. And yet, as the bus arrived and they got on, he couldn't help but get a squirmy feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Excluding Ken, the three of them got off at a stop earlier than his, and he watched them walk together through the freezing weather. As the bus slowly pulled away, he saw Leila shiver from a particularly cold wind, and Ricky pulled out a heat pack from his pocket, offering it to her. She gleefully accepted it and nudged him with her elbow in appreciation, causing the two of them to stand closer as they walked. Nicholas even stood on Leila's opposite side in order to block the wind from her small figure and she turned to him, her eyes squinting in the same way it did earlier when she grinned.

Ken felt his heart sink, realizing his bad feeling had been correct.

He wasn't special. Any person kind enough to offer heat to Leila would no doubt be well liked by her. It just so happened that she and Ken met up more often than others, but his athletic friends who emitted just as much body heat would be just as appreciated.

Her 'like' couldn't possibly be the 'like' he thought it to be.

How stupid—and embarrassing of him—to get all nervous by himself.