Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Class C's Camp

Start from the beginning

'Gifts from Karuizawa?'

Hirata nodded, "How did you know?"

'The accessory with the heart mark.'

Hirata laughed.

When we headed for the river, we unexpectedly noticed someone was there.

"What are you doing here?"

Kanzaki, a student from Class B, was observing Class D. He was accompanied by a group of unknown boys who were likely also students from Class B standing at a distance. 

Kanzaki seemed slightly surprised to see us arriving so early from our tent but quickly regained his composure.

"One day has passed, so I was wondering what had happened. I came to check on your situation. You've seized a good place."

"Indeed, you are... Class B Kanzaki, right?"

Hirata seemed to recognize Kanzaki since he remembered his name.

"Have I surprised you? Sorry, it wasn't in ill intention," Kanzaki apologized.

'Kanzaki, I hope you don't mind if we check out Class B's camp.'

"I don't have a problem with large crooked trees; there are trees on the way back to the beach when going along the road. There is a camping ground where Class B stays when heading into the forest southwest from there. You won't get lost when you enter into large trees."

"Did you come spying on Class D to see how we used our points?" Hirata asked.

The discomfort on Kanzaki's face answered our questions.

Kanzaki left, leaving Hirata and me alone.

Hirata washed his face in the river as itely didn't mind being spied. If anything, it seemed that he was more uneasy.

He wiped in the towel and muttered, "Isn't our strategy wrong... Even if we don't win over other classes, I'd like to team up and complete the trial at least. That's why I don't want my leader identity to be noticed."

His hair, wet from water, was shining.

'You should be more carefree.'

Hirata laughed, "Yeah, I should. Thanks for saying that."

After washing my face, I scooped some river water with my hand and drank it. Despite the scorching hot weather in the forest, the river water was refreshingly cold and delicious. Since the river is fed by groundwater from springs, its temperature remains relatively stable and doesn't warm up quickly. Moreover, the water temperature doesn't rise since it flows from upstream. We were lucky to have found this spot as our base camp.

"First of all, we need to adjust our bed properly. Since the ground is hard hit, it is willing to be a tough week without a substitute for a cushion like a mat. Get into action by gathering opinions when everyone wakes up. We have to cooperate and do our best."

After the end of the morning roll call, we were free to move as we pleased. Of co,,urse Hirata gave instructions to reliable classm and started a strategy on savingto save points. On the other hand, students who dially feel like helping out preferred to be independent began t own activities.

Matsushita's POV

"What the fuck are you, guys!"

As Ike's angry voice echoed through the campgrounds, I turned to see two male students grinning like Cheshire cats.

Ibuki, who showed a bitter expression only for a moment, stepped into the shade of the tent like she was trying to hide herself.

"Komiya and Kondou?"