guns

Daddy kept driving as I stared out the window holding my cherished stuffed animal. It was the lizard dog toy grandma had given me for my birthday a few years earlier.

Momma sighed and asked, "How much longer? We've been driving for over an hour already."

Daddy grunted irritably, "I don't know.”

Momma grunted and opened the glove box, revealing an assortment of items from within. I leaned over her shoulder to get a better look--there were maps, cigarettes, two bottles of pills, and balloons? Momma pulled out the map and opened it. Despite being confusing, it did seem to contain key information about the nearest gas station.

"There should be a station barely three miles," Momma said, pointing to a dot on the map.

Daddy peered over at the map, asking, "You need something there?”

Momma proposed, "We could get some gas, medicine, and food." While she appeared to speak to Daddy in a patronizing manner, reminiscent of her interactions with a dog, she also took into account his preferences.

"Fine," Daddy grunted adjustingly, taking on a more comfortable position in his seat.

After a few minutes, Daddy pulled over near an unkempt gas station. Broken glass littered the ground, and the gas pump was broken as well, emitting a continuous stream of gas spewing onto the asphalt. Momma opened her door along with Daddy, and I got out, trying my best to avoid knocking any of the bags down, before closing the car door behind me.

Daddy barked out, "Pen, go inside and get some stuff." I nodded and dashed over to the gas station, opening the entrance. As the door swung open, it released a bell, prompting a notification of my visit.
I wandered about the store, foraging for any useful items. I hummed a tune, although I couldn't recall its name or any of its lyrics. I grabbed chocolate bars and other edible items, stuffing them into the confines of my pockets.

I silently prayed that the gas station would be devoid of any walkers. Of course, Shane had gifted me a gun, but I wasn't sure how many bullets it had, and I didn't want to incur Daddy's wrath.

Suddenly, the bell for the door jangled, indicating someone's presence. I peeked over the shelf to see two walkers shambling through the doorway, attracted by the sound of my voice. They stomped around, crunching upon shattered glass beneath their feet as they moaned and groaned.
Quickly, I ducked behind the shelf and covered my mouth.

My heart was racing as I recognized the certain inevitability of being discovered. I scanned the room, considering various hiding spots, such as the bathroom. However, what if that room was locked? Wouldn't the walkers hear me if I attempted to enter?

Then a disastrous mistake arose! I accidentally stepped on something, and its crinkling sound immediately alerted the walkers. In a frantic, adrenaline-induced rush, I tore towards the multi-use restroom, yanking the door handle until it moved open.

The communal restroom featured no locking mechanism, hence I dashed, unobstructed, to the stall on the outskirts and bolted the door shut.
Positioning myself atop the commode as if I were engaging in a "shook shooting" practice drill, I awaited to discover the walkers' inevitable presence.

Recollecting the time I attended a school shooting simulation, I experienced a sense of déjà vu, almost as though this occurrence had previously occurred.

I hear the walkers stumbling towards the bathroom door. It slams open and I raise my shirt to pull my gun out. The walkers are close by and I go on my tiptoes, trying to look out over the stall door.

But I cannot I think the walkers have heard me, because they begin walking towards my stall. I open the stall and point my gun at the walker that snapped at me. I fire and the walker falls to the ground. Then I turn my gun against the other and shoot, its blood splattering on my face.

With shaking hands and ringing ears, I exit the bathroom and hear the gas station's door bell ringing. I see Momma and Daddy running in.
"What the hell was that!" Daddy yells angrily.

"Two walkers... They were there and I, uh... I saw a gun on the ground and shot them..." I say, hoping they don't realize I'm lying. I'm really bad at lying.

Daddy raises an eyebrow, then yanks the gun from my hand. Momma stands there in silence. Daddy slips my gun into his belt.

"Be more careful," Daddy snaps. "Get back in the car! It's time to go," he adds as he walks towards the door, clearly angry.

Momma shoots me a quick glance, then follows Daddy out of the gas station.
I dash after her, avoiding the broken glass on the ground. Daddy is starting the car as I walk up. I open my door and sit down, then click my seatbelt into the buckle. Momma opens her door and sits down, buckling herself in right as Daddy starts to drive away – leaving the gas station behind.

I lean my head against the door. I don't know how much time passes. I think I might have fallen asleep, because when I next open my eyes, we have stopped. Through the window, I can see Momma and Daddy in the car with backpacks and a map.

"Hey, wake up," Daddy says as he hits the car door with his hand, startling me. I sit up and grab my toy, hugging it tightly to my chest as I open the door. Just as I do, Daddy throws my backpack at me, and the force pushes me back. I sink back into my seat …

"We gotta walk now," Daddy said, his head turned away.
As I gaze around, I see only dense forests and bushes. I step out of the car, dropping my stuffed animal on the ground. I put my backpack on, then bend over to retrieve my stuffed animal.
Daddy has already started walking towards the forest, and I follow him. There's something about the deep, dark forest that fills me with fright. We continue walking in silence.