Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Unexpected Witness

Start from the beginning

While she was talking, she realized there were a lot of shoes lined up at the doorway.

She turned around and held herself back in a panic.

Kushida popped out, probably worried that she would head back quickly.

"Oh, Horikita-san!"

Kushida waved at Horikita with a smile. Looking at her cheerful attitude, Horikita naturally let out a sigh.

There was nowhere to run, forcing her to enter the room reluctantly.

"O-oh, Horikita!"

Of course, Sudou was the happiest to see her. He put his game on pause and looked up.

"Did you decide to help? I'm glad you decided to join."

"I don't intend to help. After all, you haven't found the witness yet, right?"

Kushida nodded her head dejectedly.

"If you didn't come to help, why'd you come?"

"I was wondering what kind of plan you guys had."

"I'm happy even if you're only going to listen to the plan. I wanted advice as well."

Kushida then told her about the plan she had devised a short while ago. Horikita's expression was stiff throughout the whole explanation.

"It's not a bad plan. It might even produce results with enough time."

"Now that I've checked on the situation, I'll leave."

In the end, Horikita decided to leave without even sitting down.

"Did you think of something?"

When she arrived at my door earlier, Horikita had something to say. She wouldn't have come to my room without a reason.

"I'll give you one piece of advice to help you with your weak efforts. After all, it's hard to see what's right in front of you. If someone witnessed the incident, that person is most likely close by."

'There is a witness, but the problem is she's in Class D.'

"Are you serious? Is there a witness?" Surprise and doubt came first before joy for Sudou.

Everyone was in disbelief as Horkita was giving me a scrutinizing gaze.

"So, you know who it is."

She wasn't asking a question but making a statement.

I nodded.

'It's Sakura Airi.'

"Sakura-san, from our class...?"

Yamauchi and Sudou exchanged glances. They looked confused as to who Sakura was.

I nodded.

"The witness is that girl."

"Why do you say that?"

I stared at Horikita as she sighed.

"When Kushida-san asked the class for witnesses, she looked down. Many students looked at Kushida-san, but she was the only one who looked uninterested. She wouldn't have acted that way if unrelated to the incident."

"Since you're one of the people staring at Kushida-san, it's only natural."

She pointed at me.

'Horikita, I knew it was her.'

Horikita narrowed her eyes as I explained myself.

'Yes, you're right that she wasn't looking at Kushida, but I don't think she was uninterested. Sakura was anxious and scared.'