Duel In The Alley

Woah now this story has 2,000 reads. I never knew this little idea would get so many people to enjoy my story. Just in case due to Wattpad recent policy changes I put the story under mature. This won't affect the tone just to help cover me in case from recent changes. Giving a head up updates might be slow due to life but will try to push at least 2 chapter per month due to life. Hope you enjoy this longer chapter!

A few blocks away from the park, my mind wandered to the future. Walking slightly behind me was a potential roommate, an Atlantean. The air turned sharp as the wind screamed through the buildings. I would never have thought that I would have to offer shelter to a refugee from the lost city of Atlantis, particularly on the night I might have lost my job.

My mind was abuzz with countless questions, yet I hesitated to voice them until we were securely within the apartment's confines. So, they remained locked in my thoughts.

Based on what Gura said herself that she is 9,000 years old so how long is an Atlantean lifespan? Could there be a conspiracy linked to the cover up of Atlantis by governments? When might I anticipate the arrival of the men in black to appear at my doorstep? And how should I account for Gura's presence in my apartment to my family?

God, I need to sleep.

The weather shifted, bringing a cold wind that battered my skin and crashed against my face. The once bustling street quieted, with fewer people around, as if a silent command had been given to everyone but us. The streets emptied, leaving us isolated in the world. Time seemed to stretch, extending our journey.

Outside, the strangeness intensified. A sense of tension still to latch onto me, the feeling of being watched persistent. This sensation had started when we departed the park. Despite frequent glances over my shoulder, only the void greeted me. Yet, the sensation persisted, gnawing at me as we moved beneath the streetlamp's glow.

The wind's howl remained the only answer, dominating the city's soundscape. The journey seemed endless until the familiar shape of our apartment building signaled the end of our long night. It wasn't perfect, with its occasional elevator malfunctions, but it was affordable and felt like home as we approached the building.

We were just a block away, preparing to cross the street, when a buzzing noise started to intensify from an alleyway behind us. Usually, the alley was silent, not even a rat's squeak to be heard, but it was suddenly disrupted by that odd buzzing sound.

As we turned to face the shadowy alley, Gura's grip on my hand tightened, her hand latching firmly onto mine, her annoyance with the surrounding sounds evident.

I was trying to find the source of the noise. My eyes darted around as the sound seemed to reverberate off the buildings, coming from everywhere at once. Then, at last, the noise grew louder from a single direction—the dark alleyway behind us.

But it can't be a dumpster or the rusted metal pip on the ground so what the hell was making that sound.

"What's that noise?" she asked, her voice drowned out by the growing din. Whatever was making that sound was coming closer, and with no one else nearby, we needed to get to the apartment quickly.

The alleyway was foul-smelling, with dumpsters lined up against the walls, disappearing into the darkness. The only consolation was a streetlamp overhead, emitting a weak light that provided scant comfort, yet it was just enough to enable me to identify potential sources and keep an eye out for any movement in the shadows.

"I don't know," I responded, my voice laced with apprehension. "But I think it's time to leave." My body was rigid, every hair on edge, goosebumps marching across my skin.