4

The Saturday followed through and the students of the school met up study or hang out in halls and libraries. Everyone except two.

In Eddy's room the two boys slept peacefully. Exhaustion hit Brett first and Eddy insisted he'd sleep in the bed not wanting the poor boy to spend another sleep on the wooden floor.

Brett eventually gave in and crawled under the covers. Eddy, whom had been sleeping on and off for the whole previous day, took the moment to observe the boy.

Unlike his usual expressionless expression in his awake state, the boy looked serene while sleeping, as if dreamland was his sanctuary.

Eddy couldn't help but wonder what haunted him in their realm of reality.

Eventually, Eddy joined Brett in dreamland as he too fell into deep sleep.

The weekend was spent nursing Eddy back to health. His body was both sleep deprived and malnourished after days of endless practice.

Occasionally, Eddy fell into the despair again, unable to comprehend reality as his mind haunted him. But when that happened, Brett was right there with him, coaxing him back to sanity with soothing words.

When Monday came, Eddy's fingers were still healing and Brett suggested he inform the teacher's of his state. Eddy reluctantly agreed after some convincing, on the condition that Brett would be by his side.

Of course Brett agreed, and so they were on their way to Mr. White's office to explain the situation.

Eddy opened the door to find Mr. White sitting by his office table with a visitor on the opposing side.

"Ah, Eddy, perfect timing, I have a guest that concerns you," Mr. White said.
As the guest turned around, Eddy's blood froze.

"Father..." he said, pale as a ghost.
"Son." His father greeted.
His voice held a politeness, but Eddy could see the boiling fury in his eyes. He didn't even acknowledge Brett's presence, as if he wasn't enough to be perceived human.

It made Eddy sick knowing what his father thought.

"Mr. Chen came over as we informed him of your repetitive absence Chen," Mr. White started.
"Excuse me, with all due respect Mr. White, but could you leave me and my boy alone for a moment?"

After an awkward silence Mr. White replied:
"Most certainly Mr. Chen."
Mr. White left the room.

"It concerns the street rat as well," Eddy's father continued.
Eddy snapped at the nickname.
"Brett stays." He said sternly.

"Eddy, it's a peasant!"

That was the drop. Eddy acted impulsively as he walked up to his father and gave him a backhand.

In fear for what he'd done, he recoiled in silence before grabbing Brett's wrist and running out the door.

On the other side they found Mr. White. Eddy independently explained the situation and begged for him to convince his father to stay calm and give him some time.

Mr. White was suspicious to the request, but when Eddy unwrapped his left hand and showed the nasty wounds, Mr. White agreed.