He's not stopping every five minutes for air to reach his lungs like me.

"Can't. Keep. Going." I cough out in between breaths. "Want. To. Die." My hands are now holding me up by my knees, my eyes squinting.

Apparently my struggle is amusing as I look up to see a smiling Echo.

At this point i'm giving up, collapsing onto the dusty ground. I close my eyes, silently thanking the trees for providing such tasty oxygen.

My eyes slowly unfold, meeting the blue ones which are currently looking disappointedly down at me. "You need to keep trying or you'll never be good enough."

I bite my lip trying to hold back the anger ready to slip through my words. "Im going to get some water."

He reaches his hand out for me to take, which I kindly decline, helping myself off the dirt.

I dust myself off, walking past him without a second glance.

Asshole.

I try not to falter at the glares I receive as I head to the supply tent.

My eyes catch a glimpse of the giant tent sitting right beside this one, begging to be opened.

"That's Syrus' quarters"

I roll my eyes at the previous information running through my head, walking towards the forbidden fabric room.

I hesitate before holding the zipper and pulling it down, revealing a giant room filled with maps. Before I can enter, I hear a familiar voice come from behind me.

"No one's allowed in here." I turn on my heel to see Syrus. He's looking at me, but there is no anger within his eyes.

"Why not? It's just a table and a bunch of maps." I ask, clearly annoyed from the lack of information.

He was definitely hiding something.

Syrus sighs, holding open the entrance to the tent. "Come on, I wanna show you something." He waves his hand, motioning for me to follow him inside. I don't protest as curiosity gets the best of me.

He leads me to the edge of the large table, pointing a finger at all the maps placed on it. "We have a different map for each city that was effected by this thing. Some are from farm animals, going rabid. Some are from trees, wrapping themselves around people, crushing them. Some are from vines, growing around buildings." He pauses, grabbing a stack of maps at the head of the table. "And some are from stampedes. Lots, of stampedes. Everywhere. There's been no more news of them, but we can't be too sure." He sighs, running his hand through his black hair.

"I still don't understand." I speak, looking up at him. "What are you trying to hide?" I ask, surprised at my own boldness.

He studies me, but I don't back down. His eyes linger on the maps in front of him, then he slowly reaches into a hidden drawer below the table.

Another secret.

"This," He holds up a brown leather book with a silver crystal on it. "This is what I keep hidden. It holds the key to saving humanity." I look to the book, shock evident on my face.

It can't be. 

"How do you have that." I ask, my tone becoming louder as anger consumes me.

"Your mother she.." He pauses, making me roll my hands into a tight fist. "She left it with me, told me she would come back for it when the time was right. Told me it could save us." I watch as he slowly caresses the old leather. It has no title.