Forest Fire

The happy moment was short lived when Patch was heard on the loudspeakers. And what she announced wasn't good. 

"All Aircraft, Jumpers, and Scorpion! Lightning Storm Came Through! We've Got Multiple Starts North of Skyline Drive!"

Chrys rushed over as Blade landed in front of Dipper and Windlifter. "Lightning storm started a whole school of spot fires and they've merged. This is a big one." 

The changeling looked to Windlifter for his verdict on the wind. "Rapid." 

"Good thing I got the wildlife out of that area before the storm hit." 

Blade had a plan ready. "Dipper, you and Windlifter load up. Champ, wait in the hanger. Chrys, you'll be flying with me." 

Chrys stood straighter hearing that, she and Blade have been working on a way for Chrys to stay closer to the team with bigger fires like this. She would fly with him and keep a look out in case of extra trouble. 

"But, Blade, Dusty's been practicing so hard." Dipper tried to have Dusty come with them. 

"This ain't no campfire." Dusty then came forward to defend himself. "Come on, I can do this." 

"They're not certified." The argument went on for a minute before Chrys stepped in to stop it. And she was fuming as she did. 

"Enough! We're wasting time!" She turned to Blade. "Blade, we're gonna need all the help we can get with this one." 

The helicopter and changeling had a silent conversation with their eyes before Blade finally agreed. "Maru!" 

Maru was coming over as Chrys got into the helicopter. "Yeah, Blade?!" 

"Load him up!" Blade then took off with Chrys poking her head out his open side door. She was laying down, that way she didn't get hit with Blade's rotors. 

Soon they were at the location and the jumpers were at work. 

Chrys took in the site of the blaze, it was huge. But she was so used to seeing the fires from the ground, not from the air and it gave her more perspective on what the aircraft saw. 

"Never thought I'd see a fire like how you guys do! It's terrifying!" 

Blade hummed in understanding but gave out orders on his radio. "Dipper, move into position! Split load! Coverage level eight!" 

"Dipper copies!"  

"Got left one wingspan on your next drop! Champ, tag on and extend! Split load!" Chrys radioed Dusty after Blade was done. "Let's see if your training stuck, rookie!"

"Copy that!" Dusty followed orders but he let the retardant go while he flew too high. 

"Too high, it all disbursed! Windlifter, finish off that ridge!" Blade had Windlifter finish Dusty's job. 

Chrys radioed Dynamite as she saw the fire spread to their location. "Dynamite! Pull back! You guys gotta get out of there now!" 

"Copy that, Scorpion!" The changeling still had a pit in her stomach as she huffed out a breath she was holding. 

"What happened?" Chrys explained what she saw to Blade. "The wind shifted, and the fire jumped a line."

But when Dynamite radioed again, she nearly panicked. "Scorpion! We can't get to our safety zone! Our escape route is blocked! We need a drop!" 

"Copy that! Dipper, left flank! The jumpers need a drop!" It was then Chrys saw Dusty flying in that direction and heard him on her radio collar. "I see them! I got it!" 

This time Dusty did the drop right and Chrys heard Dynamite. "All right, we're clear!" 

The changeling sighed in relief before she heard Dipper yell. "That's my Dust-Muffin!" 

Chrys radioed Dipper but kept her eyes on the fire. "Dipper! Control yourself, woman!" 

"Champ, load and return! We still got a lot of work to do!" Blade didn't seem happy, but he didn't seem disappointed either with the Cropduster. 

After a few hours the fire was contained, and everyone but the jumpers returned to base. 

"Dynamite just reported in! They're gonna camp out tonight and mop it up tomorrow!" Chrys shook herself out as she jumped out of Blade when he landed. 

She was glad that was taken care of, but she was also proud of Dusty for his quick thinking and helping the jumpers. The changeling walked over to Dusty with Blade as Dipper was congratulating the plane. 

"You broke formation in a crowded airspace. Could've been you spread all over the woods instead of retardant. Don't go planning your certification party yet, champ." 

After the scolding, Blade wheeled off somewhere as Chrys came forward. 

"Oh, man." Dusty started to beat himself up. 

"Come on, that's just Blade's way of saying good job." Dipper tried to cheer him up. 

Chrys sat in front of Dusty and bowed her head a bit. "Rookie, you did good. But Blade is also right, be careful next time. Got it?" 

Dusty nodded. "Two questions, why do you call me 'Rookie'? And how are you and Blade so close?" 

Dipper seemed to be curious too. "Yeah." 

Chrys sighed and shook her head as she gave answers for both. "I take after my grandfather in a way. He used to call my dad two things, Hot Rod, and Rookie. As for how I got close to Blade, I barely know myself." 

"Wait, you call me Rookie, because of your grandfather?" The changeling nodded and sighed. "Yeah, I was going to call you Dust-Cloud, but Rookie both slipped and fit a little better." 

A private jet then flew close to the base making the three look up. "Woah." 

"That was low." Windlifter then came over as Chrys stood up as she followed the jet with her eyes. 

"Cad's VIPs." 

Dusty then remembered something. "Oh, yeah that's right. Yeah, yeah, he's having a big party up at the lodge tonight. We should go." 

Chrys sighed and adjusted her gear before nodding. "If you guys are going, I'm going. Someone has to make sure you guys don't do anything stupid." 

The changeling then left to get to the lodge.