Backwards Driving

Chrys stayed on McQueen's roof as he and Mater drove near the Cozy Cone motel. She hopped off and walked next to Lightning as Mater was planning something else. 

"Tomorrow night, we can go look for the Ghostlight." Chrys shook her head. "Mater, don't mock the Ghostlight." 

"I can't wait, Mater." Lightning was being sarcastic, which was usually Chrys' thing. 

"Oh, yeah, I'm telling you! You gotta admit that was fuuun!" Chrys nodded and fixed her slightly messy hair. 

"Mater's right, it's sometimes the most excitement I get sometimes." 

"Oh, yeah...yeah." Chrys rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Well, we better get you back to the impound." 

Lightning stopped and Chrys raised a brow at this. "Actually, Sally's letting me stay at the motel."

Chrys was confused. Why would her mom let him stay at the motel? She figured Sally was just being nice and letting him stay there out of pity. You know, since he fell into a cactus pit twice, was scared by her daughter a few times, and had to fix the road. 

"Oh~, getting cozy at the cone, are we?" Mater found it a good idea to tease Lightning. 

"Oh, come...No. No, are you kidding? Besides, she can't stand me. And I don't like her, to be honest." He was in denial. 

"You're probably right." Mater looked to Chrys, getting her to jump on the bandwagon of teasing. "Oh, here comes my mom." 

"What? Where?" The two pranksters laughed as McQueen was disappointed. 

"You're in love with Ms. Sally." 

"My mom? Really?" Chrys didn't say it out loud, but she wanted a dad again. She missed having one over the years. 

"No, I'm not." 

Mater then hopped in front of Lightning and started to tease him as he drove backwards. "You're in love with Ms. Sally.~ You're in love with Ms. Sally.~" 

"Ok, that's real mature, Mater. Real grown up." 

"You love her. You love her." The two cars went back and forth with denying and teasing before they stopped, Mater was still driving backwards. 

"Would you stop that?" McQueen was a little annoyed. 

"Stop what?" Mater was confused. 

"That driving backwards stuff. You're gonna wreck or something." Mater stopped and raised a brow. "Wreck? Shoot, I'm the world's best backwards driver. Just watch this right here, Lover Boy." 

Then he preceded to drive backwards and well...see for yourselves.

"That was incredible! How'd you do that?!" Mater moved his mirrors. "Rear view mirrors. We'll get you some and I'll teach you if you want." 

"Yeah, maybe I'll use it in my big race." Chrys walked away as the two talked, she was tired and wanted to sleep, but she wanted to talk with Lightning in private. So, she waited until he was in the cone before crawling in through the window. 

"Woah, what are you doing in here?" McQueen was a little scared even if she was still in her human form. 

"My mom runs the place, for one. For two, you know my birth parents' names, and know I exist. I need to make sure you don't tell anyone. So, swear you'll keep my existence a secret." Chrys was serious as she spoke, her eyes glowing in the dark. 

"I promise, but why would you keep yourself secret? Other than...you know?" 

"Because the last time I saw my parents they were killed by cars. All they wanted was peace between our two species, but the meeting was only a trap." Chrys looked away and out the window. "My Papa was shot in front of us. My Momma hid me out here, said she'd come back but she never did." 

"I'm sorry. Is that why you always say 'I'm Chrys'? So, no one knows what you really are?" She nodded and left quickly, heading to her blanket nest and laying down. 

"You ok, Chrys?"

"I'm fine, Mom. Just, dreaming old dreams I guess."