Piston Peak

Chrys stretched out her body as she woke up in her blanket nest. She walked slowly towards the old garage she and Doc would spend time in. The two bonding over racing tips, the songs that would come on the radio, and even keeping each other company. 

But now to Chrys, that garage was just empty without her grandfather there. Doc died of a type of engine cancer his final words rung in her head every time she went inside the garage. 

"I'm always with you, Chrys. I'm proud of the person you've grown into, and am so happy to have called you, my granddaughter. So, never give up, even when moments are tough."

She breathed in the old garage; it was lonely inside until someone was heard behind her. 

"Chrys?" It was Lightning. "You okay, sweetie?" 

Lightning has taken to his role of being Chrys' dad pretty well, the two were somewhat similar in personality. But Chrys was more hotheaded than him. 

"I'm fine, Dad. Just thinking of him, missing him." She looked down at her larger talons. Chrys has grown a bit in the last few years, she was now fully grown and more mature, but she felt lost. Like she wanted to do something more with her life. 

McQueen had an idea. "You know, Red said that a buddy of his at Piston Peak needs a changeling in the fire and rescue there. Maybe it'd be a good chance to get your mind off it. Besides, I know you don't want to take his place as Crew Chief." 

Chrys thought about it for a second, she'd be doing something with her life. She'd be saving others' lives, using her strength to do so. So, she nodded. "Tell Red to radio his friend. I'm heading to Piston Peak." 

Lightning nodded and drove out of the garage, knowing Chrys was going to tell Sally about it. 

"You're sure about this, honey?" Sally was worried about Chrys being far from home, let alone being a firefighter. 

Chrys had her bags packed, they were like saddle bags that strapped to her back. She didn't pack much, just some food, a few photos, and clothes for her human form. "I'll be fine, mom. The chief is going to train me, and I'll radio any chance I get. Plus, this park is a tourist spot, so maybe you guys can visit." 

Sally nodded and Chrys laid down, nuzzling her mother's passenger door. "I love you, Chrys." 

"Love you too, Mom." 

Lightning then came in and the small family said goodbye as Chrys started running to Piston Peak. 

Chrys made sure to pace herself as she made it out of the desert and followed sighs to the forest park. She never saw so many trees in her life, it was beautiful. She got some directions to the fire attack station and finally made it. 

Everyone seemed pretty chill. I guess between fires it was peaceful, but even then, they had to stay alert. 

One of the planes, a yellow and red female, noticed Chrys first. "Oh, Hi! I'm Dipper, if you're looking for the lodge it's-" 

The changeling shook her head. "Oh, I'm not a tourist. I'm the changeling trainee, I'm looking for the chief." 

Dipper seemed to have caught on and nodded. "I see, Blade's with Maru right now, his hook got slightly damaged last fire." 

Chrys nodded in understanding. "I nearly forgot to tell you my name, I'm Chrys." 

Dipper seemed frozen as she then asked a question. "Wait, as in The Rogue Queen, Lightning McQueen's daughter?" 

"Yeah, that's me." A red and white helicopter and a forklift then approached the two. "Though, I just prefer Chrys. I heard you guys needed a changeling out here, so I came." 

The helicopter raised a brow. "You ever deal with fires in the desert?" 

Chrys thought for a second. "Believe it or not, we get some nasty thunderstorms, rain is rare so it's always dry and hot. We do get some brush fires where some plants are. Last time we had a major fire I rushed into a burning patch of cactus to save a friend who got stuck." 

The forklift was surprised at this, and Chrys' size. "Huh, I'm guessing between the heat, your diet and the landscape, you go bigger than most. Thicker exoskeleton too." 

The rogue shrugged and sat down facing the helicopter. "I guess, but anyway. I believe you're Chief Blade, I'm ready to start training when you are." 

Blade seemed to be a little impressed with how she found out he was chief this fast. Though he didn't show it. "We'll start tomorrow. Maru will get you your supplies and radio collar." 

Maru saluted before heading to one of the garages. 

Chrys nodded in thanks. "Thank you, sir. I look forward to working with you all." 

Maru came back with what looked like several pouches attached to each other and a collar. He helped put them on Chrys and helped test her radio collar. "Alright, you have multiple med pouches for both vehicles and changelings, with water in each. The radio collar is old, but I fixed it right up, better than new, and it should work with a touch of your smaller talons." 

The changeling nodded and she stood up. "Thanks, Maru. Long as the radio works, I'm sure I'll be ok." 

The forklift blinked in surprise and smiled. "Least one newbie gets it!"

Chrys was introduced to the others, she got along with Windlifter pretty well and Dipper was nice to talk to. Blade was somewhat distant, quiet and serious, though Chrys kinda expected him to be since he was chief. Maru was cool along with the jumpers. Cabbie was ex-military and easy to talk to. 

There were no fires today, so now everyone was just talking, getting to know Chrys better. 

"So, wait, you really used to climb before running when you were a kid?" Dynamite, head of the jumpers, was across from the changeling as Chrys was between Windlifter and Blade. 

Chrys shrugged, to them it looked kinda weird. "Had to build muscle somehow. After climbing for a few years, I decided to work on my speed and agility. My...late grandfather gave me some tips." She looked at her talons before shaking her head. "Anyway, I wanted to do something with my life other than moping, so I decided on helping others like he did me." 

Dipper stopped sipping oil and blinked. "I'm sorry for your loss, Chrys." 

The changeling bowed her head to the plane. "Not your fault, Dipper. I just couldn't take his place as Crew Chief; I just feel like I'd be a replacement. No one could take Doc's place." 

It was silent for a minute before Winlifter spoke. "You are a humble and brave soul, Chrys. We heard what you did at the race, to save the King." 

Everyone agreed and Blade was the only one to notice Chrys seemed uncomfortable talking about that time. But one line made Chrys growl. 

"You were a hero." 

Chrys sat up and stomping one of her talons and her tail whipping behind her. "I didn't sacrifice myself so I could be seen as a hero. I did what I thought was right in that moment, and I'd do it a thousand times more if I have to." 

Silence again. 

The rogue got up and turned to head to her new resting spot. "I'm heading to bed. See you guys in the morning."