10. little black dress

Start from the beginning

"Huh? I couldn't hear you there. You're going to need to speak up Lola, what do you want?" She grins.

Oh, I'm so going to kill her.

I open my mouth again but the embarrassment of what I've said is too prominent and has me sinking into the seat. I don't get why I'm like this. I wish I could just own it.

Noticing my uncomfortableness Amethyst rests her hands on my shoulders. "You deserve to look hot, Lola. Today is all about you, okay? This party is going to be great. Trust me." She grins as her eyes meet mine in the mirror.

I hope so.

🀦

Some remixed variation of Travis Scott's 'Goosebumps' is thumping all the way through Emma Miller's double-story house when we enter.

Strobe lights flicker crazily enough that my eyes take a second to adapt to the shaking house, that's filled with the majority of seniors and a fair share of juniors.

One of the juniors comes in the shape of a five-foot-something girl whose long box braids are tied in a half up half down styles, with two braids at the front.

Myra Moore is standing behind the DJ booth with a headset over one of her ears.

I can just make out the black top she's wearing. It's a sweetheart neckline of sorts that just keeps dipping down. There's a thin line that attaches the top together.

"The trust that baby Moore has in that top," Amethyst whispers, wondrously as she eyes it. "Hold up, I need to ask her where she got it from." She winks over her shoulder.

I watch Amethyst approach the girl who's currently pushing away a boy with one hand, whilst she keeps doing whatever the hell it is that's got the song acting like a drug to the kids who are jumping up and down on the dancefloor.

"Fuck me sideways," A familiar voice whistles from right behind me. My eye roll isn't even complete when I turn to face Micaela. "The woman, the myth, the legend Lola Melese," she grins.

"Shut up, Mik." I laugh, she's wearing a mini white dress that has cutouts on the side exposing her tender fair skin.

"Nuh-uh. You're wow," she makes a scene as she eyes me up and down. "God works wonders."

"Mhm, thank you." I smile.

"I love your eye look," she continues on, still staring at me.

Instinctively my fingers go to touch my makeup, but Micaela wacks my hands away. I retreat it with an "ow," but I agree. Amethyst exceeded any expectations I ever had.

She's given me some type of smoky eye and lined my waterline. Ames has transformed my usual wide-eyed look to something siren-like. She's also packed on the blush and accentuated my lashes with her unfathomably good mascara and lash curler.

All that paired with the little black dress makes for a show I'm not mad at being in.

I can practically feel everyone's lingering gazes on me. Some of the football boys have definitely spotted me but Amos hasn't, I try my best to tune out their chatter.

"Dedicating this next song to the finest man on the basketball team. Johnny Delgado, ditch my fucking brother and come with me instead!" Myra Moore yells into the microphone that's connected to all the set-up speakers.

A shout of whistles rings through the air at both what she's said and the song choice — Girls Need Love by Summer Walker ft. Drake.

"Oh, she's got it bad." I laugh, eyeing the girl who's brought her hair to one side of her neck as she cattishly grins up at someone in the distance — Johnny, I'm undoubtedly assuming.