IV

"Welcome to Dragon Training!" a voice bellows. the volume of his voice makes reze jump, waking her from her sleep. she looks down from her perch on the cliff side. 

"No turning back." astrid sighs as the group of teens walk in. reze eyes them, reading there every move. 

"I hope I get some serious burns!" tuff laughs.

"I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back." ruff joins the pair of them begin to laugh and plot between each other.

astrid speaks again "it's only fun if you get a scar out of it."

"Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it." hiccup sarcastically joins. raven turns to look at him. compared to the others he is stood around, you really notice his lack of build. he looks twig like almost. the others groan when they set eyes on him. 

clearly they didn't like him very much. reze huffs and adjusts the mask over her face. 

"Oh great. Who let him in?" ruff points at him and rolls her eyes

"Let's get started! The recruit who does best will win the honour of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village." gobber speaks up, stopping the previous convocations

"Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him or...?" snotlout chuckles.

"can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" tuff asks, glancing around at the rest of the group.

gobber throws a supportive arm around Hiccup and ushers him along. "Don't worry. You're small and you're weak. That'll make you less of a target. They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead." he motions to the others. luckily the others were chatting among each other so they hadn't noticed the comment that had been made.

reze silently sits up on the ledge and watches as gobber pushed hiccup in line with the others and continues on toward five massive reinforced doors. Terrible roars and bellows issue from within.

"Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight!" gobber calls out and fishlegs bounces and giggles with excitement, barely able to contain himself.

"The Deadly Nadder!" gobber steps over to the first door.

"Speed, eight, Armor, sixteen." fishlegs pipes in

"The Hideous Zippleback!"

"Plus eleven stealth times two."

"The Monstrous Nightmare!"

" Firepower, fifteen."

"The Terrible Terror!"

"Attack, eight, Venom: twelve!"

"CAN YOU STOP THAT?! " gobber snaps at fishlegs before continuing. "And... the Gronckle!"

"Jaw strength, eight." the boy whispers

Gobber pulls a lever, raising the cross beam on the last of the doors.

"Whoa, whoa, wait! Aren't you gonna teach us first?!"snotlout yells.

"I believe in learning on the job." gobber calls and just like that

BAM!

a gronckle thunders out of its cave, charging into the ring like an irate rhino. they all scramble in every direction. Except for the twins who rush toward it, like pumped-up clowns.

"Today is about survival. If you get blasted, you're dead." gobber calls out.

"Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?" he yells.