III

Hiccup has made many mistakes. Every time he's tried something new, it has gone terribly wrong. he's caused enough catastrophes within the small archipelago of Berk to be christened with the epithet 'the Useless.'

 His skinny build was merely a shadow to some of Berk's strongest warriors. his face is pale as he stares at the masked figure, pointing an axe at him. a shrill whistle slips from the mask and hiccup turns, watching as a lanky nightmare scales the cliff side. 

The Monstrous Nightmare reared back its head and Hiccup wasted no time in turning tail back down the cliff, screaming all the while, the masked figure dips and disappears within the shadows once again. 

With his mind consumed by the panic of the chase, he forgets all about it for a second, to engrossed in not dying.. He squeezed his eyes shut as he tried to catch his breath, hiding behind a wooden pole.

The Nightmare blasts it, spraying fire all around him. Hiccup peers around the smouldering post. No sign of the Nightmare. He turns back to find it leering at him, blocking his escape. It takes a deep breath. Hiccup is finished.

Suddenly, Stoick leaps between them, tackling the Nightmare to the ground. They tumble and wrestle, resuming their earlier fight. The Nightmare tries to toast him, but only coughs up smoke.

"You're all out." stoic snaps as he smashes the Nightmare repeatedly in the face, driving it away. It takes to the air and disappears.

a burnt brazier pole collapses, sending the massive iron basket crashing. It bounces down the hill, destroying as it goes and scattering the Vikings who were holding down the netted Nadders. The freed dragons escape... with several sheep in tow.

The escaped Nadders fly past with sheep in their clutches. The raid is over. The dragons have clearly won. The murmuring crowd eyes Stoick, awaiting his response.

"Okay, but I hit a Night Fury." hiccup starts "and there was a dragon rider" Stoick grabs Hiccup by the back scruff of his collar and hauls him away, fuming with embarrassment.

"It's not like the last few times, Dad. I mean I really actually hit it. You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down, just off Raven Point. then a masked figure riding a dragon emerged from the clouds! Let's get a search party out there, before it--"

"STOP! Just... stop. Every time you step outside, disaster follows. Can you not see that I have bigger problems? Winter's almost here and I have an entire village to feed! and how crazy are you, a dragon rider!"

"Between you and me, the village could do with a little less feeding, don't ya think?" hiccup whispers. the villagers that surround grumble and look around.

stoick drags hiccup towards us and gobber steps forward.

"This isn't a joke, Hiccup!" stoick snaps. "Why can't you follow the simplest orders?"

"I can't stop myself. I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad."

"You are many things, Hiccup. But a dragon killer is not one of them. and ive never heard something as stupid as a dragon rider!"

"but there are tales, you used to read them when i was a kid" hiccup mutters, "that insane family clan" 

"the Targaryens!" stoic bellows, "hiccup, there all dead. the last of the lot was slaughtered up the east coast years ago!" 

---------------------

reze walked though the forest, the sun pierced through the tree's, hitting the angles of her carved mask, a small sigh left her lips as she tracked the night fury.