sixteen 🍋

You decide to stop by Geto's this morning with breakfast. You ride the elevator up to his penthouse and get deja vu remembering when you walked in on him and Shoko. You shrug it off since that happened before you started dating, but still cringe at the memory. You stopped by yours and Geto's favourite NYC bagel place Jim's. It was a family business but the bagels were delectable. You got one with salmon on it and picked Suguru one with egg and avocado. 

"Hello?" You called into the large penthouse suite. 

Suguru was sipping coffee and leaning on his kitchen counter.

"Good morning, my love. Did you bring breakfast?" 

You nod and place the paper bag on the counter that says Jim's across the front in cursive font. 

"Baby you didn't have to" Suguru says, but you knew he appreciates the gesture. "I feel spoiled. You're gonna have to humble me."

"Your the one who has me feeling spoiled" You say. "Speaking of, babe I appreciate the gesture, but I'm starting to run out of vases from all the flowers you've sent me."

Suguru stares blankly before his expression shifts to one of confusion. "But, babe. I haven't sent you any flowers?"

"What are you talking about? I've been receiving flowers ever since I started at the law firm. They've been going to my house. If not you, who's been sending them?"

"I don't know baby" Suguru says.

You feel a shiver creep up your spine. So, now you have a secret admirer. When you thought the flowers were from Geto, you couldn't be happier at the sweet gesture. Now, that you know they aren't, fear replaces the former emotion. Whoever was doing this...knew where you lived. 

"Let's just pretend I'm not totally creeped out and talk about something else" you say, desperately trying to change the subject. "Yuta's daughter is dead."

"What? Wasn't she your only lead?" 

"Yep. Now, I don't know where to turn. This case only seems to get more and more confusing."

"Have you told Satoru?" 

"Not yet, but I'm sure he's not going to take it well. It feels like we're back to square one" you say, removing the bagels from the bag and passing Suguru his. 

"Thanks baby girl" Suguru says, removing the foil covering and sinking his teeth into the bagel. "Mmm, this is delicious."

Your phone rings and you pick it up after one ring. 

"Hello? Oh, yeah? Okay. I'll be ready." 

"Satoru needs me to go to a conference with him upstate. We'll be staying overnight at a hotel" you explain.

"Okay" Suguru says. "I can't lie and say I won't miss you." 

"I'll miss you too, Suguru." 

"Aren't we pathetic? Pining for each other after only a night apart?"

"I think that just means we're in love" you say. "Don't worry babe it's just one night."

"Okay" Suguru replies, the pout on his face lifting a little. "But, you're staying with me when you get back. Don't even bother stopping at home first."

"Deal."

"So, when do you leave?" 

"Mid-afternoon. So, we'll still be in the office together for the morning at least."

"Oh, okay" Suguru says. 

...

The morning seemed to fly by and soon it was time to leave with Satoru.