Chapter II

"You weren't suppose to program her with questions like that!" Embry hissed angrily at Pierce.

"Oh come on!" He responded playfully. "It's just a simple question, so we'll give her a simple answer."

"Alright, fine." She gave in, annoyed.

"You are a human." Pierce turned to Ash. "Can you define that term?"

"Human. A human being, especially a person as distinguished from an animal or in science fiction an alien."

"Good. That really good!" Pierce said enthusiastically.

"Greedy." Ash whispered.

"What was that?" Embry asked suspiciously. "Do not whisper so we can't hear you."

Ash looked up. "I said, greedy. Another word that can be used to describe the term human. Although, I am unfamiliar with this word. Could you define it for me?"

"No." Embry snapped. "You are not permitted to ask any more questions."

Embry turned around and grabbed something off of the table behind her. She spun back around with a syringe in her hand. Before Ash could respond Embry plunged the needle in her arm. Ash's eyes slowly closed as she drifted off.

"We can't let her wonder." Embry said sternly. "She could easily rebel against us and then giving her life would've been a waste of time."

"I disagree with that." Pierce argued. "I feel like she needs to ask us questions. She needs to know that we gave her life back to her."

"No. She mustn't know that she was ever dead. Why do you think we gave her memories?"

"I thought the fake memories were to increase her intelligence. We gave her memories of learning different things. Also, she knows we gave her memories so don't you think she's going to ask why? "

"No I don't think so, knowing we gave her memories won't do anything. The fake memories were to hide her past. If her real memories ever come back her emotions could change for us. We can't let that happen, understood?"

"Yes. You are perfectly clear." Pierce let out and exaggerated sigh.

"Good. Now let's go get lunch."

Before they left Pierce took a last look at Ash. She seemed so peaceful lying on the cot. Who knows what's running through her head at this moment.

*

"Ash wake up." Embry commanded.

Ash's eyes opened and she looked around confused. "We have changed rooms."

"Yes we have." Embry said. She turned around and pointed to a mirror on the wall. "Can you tell me what this is?"

Ash stood up and hobbled over to the silvery surface. She jumped back when she saw a face staring back at her. "It's a girl."

"No, think hard about it. I know we gave you this memory, you just have to let it come to you."

Ash turned back to the mirror and looked intensely into it. She raised her right arm and watched as the girl mimicked her.

"It's me...it's a mirror?" She guessed.

"That's correct!" Embry commented cheerfully. "Pierce thought that you should know what you look like."

Ash turned back to the mirror and examined herself. Long red hair covered the front of her face. She pushed it back, stopping to look into her bright baby blue eyes that were complimented by her pale skin. She smiled and a little dimple in her left cheek formed.

"Don't look too long." Embry warned. "I don't want you to get obsessed with your reflection."

Ash's smile faded and she gave a small nod, then moved away from the mirror. "Understood."

"Now would you like to see the building you'll be living in for the rest of your life?"

"May I ask, where is Dr. Pierce?" Ash said. "Beside that I would be honored to view the rest of this structure I will be staying in."

"Dr. Pierce is doing some important things right now, but I'm sure he'll join us soon." Embry explained.

Ash nods in understanding.

"Okay then. Let's start with your room."

Embry leads Ash through many mazes of hallways before reaching a small room locked away in the darkest part of the building.

Inside seemed much cozy than the emptiness of the hallway that led to it. There was a twin size bed in the corner of the room with a plain blue comforter that laid on top. Next to the bed was a nightstand with a wooden lamp sitting in front of a dark window. A chestnut colored dresser sat on the other side of the room with a small hand-held mirror lying on it.

"There are no devices to calculate time or as you would call them, clocks." Ash said aloud.

"Yes, there are no clocks in this entire building specifically for your purpose. You mustn't know what time it is and how much time is passing." Embry told her.

"Why would that be useful?"

"No more questions." Embry snapped, angry that Ash took another question from her first answer.

Ash nods. "Which part of the building are we exploring next?"

"I will show you the way to the cafeteria from your room."

Embry guides her back into the twists and turns of the confusing halls, but Ash memorizes the way with ease as if she already knew where to go.

They end at a set of metal double doors with long worn handles. Embry opens the doors to an empty room that has a hint of the fainting smell of whatever was eaten for lunch

"So, this is the cafeteria. All the workers come here for meals, but you'll never get to see any of them. You must wake up early enough to have breakfast and leave before any of them arrive. Same applies to all of your other meals." Embry said strictly.

Ash didn't question it anymore, learning from beforehand that she would just get yelled at.

"Before you ask you aren't permitted to speak to or befriend anyone here. You mustn't interact with anyone except for me and Dr. Pierce. Sometimes we will have other doctors come in to examine you, but other than that you are to speak to no one." Embry said, almost reading the question on Ash's expressionless face.

Ash nods as they head off to the next part of the tour.

Shortly along the same hall that they were already traveling down, they stop at a window that looks down to a large room bustling with people.

"This is a place where most workers will go on break. You're not allowed inside, but I thought I might as well show it to you anyway." Embry went on.

Ash looked down at the mix of people in awe. They were all talking and laughing. Expect, she noticed a boy sitting in the corner alone. A spark of remembrance hits her, but with all the fake memories she can't place him anywhere.

"Who is that?" Ash asked pointing to the boy. "Over there sitting alone?" She explained when Embry couldn't tell who she was talking about.

The doctor turned pale and panic filled her face when she realized Ash must remember something about him. "That is the end of our tour. You must go wait in your room now for us to guide you to dinner." Embry said hurrying Ash along through the building.

"But--"

Ashe was cut off by more of Embry's quick sentences. "No time for arguments. You aren't permitted to ask anymore questions."

Embry almost threw Ash into her bedroom before slamming and locking the door. Leaving her in darkness.