Just Like a Firefly, Just Like a Star

"Isn't it spectacular?" You asked, a sentimental grin tugging at your face.

"Hmm, what is it?" I had hummed. I wish I showed more interest.

"The stars. How the fireflies steal their shine so simply. Yet, the original is always the most eye opening, isn't it?"
I had just nodded. No words could describe how you looked at that moment. Maybe... free? But how could you be so free when you were so trapped? I just let you continue.

"As the world advances, we stop seeing certain stars. We lose them."

I looked at her, I was so confused. I wish I looked harder at her, maybe I could see how much she was hurting under all those layers.

"Those stars are important things in your life. Everytime you get attached, another will disappear."
She spoke the last part quietly, and it stabbed my heart. I wish I had a time machine. Maybe then, just maybe, there'd be a chance you'd have fun. Or have hope. I really did love her.

"Hey, Ash?"

"Hmm?"

I chickened out.

"Nothing."

I wish I hadn't chickened out. Maybe then, just then, something would've happened before you left.

I remember- I had grabbed a firefly in my palm and presented it to her.

"The light in a firefly never dies, Ash."
"But the firefly does."

Five years cut short.

I waited for a long time for her to come to the tree.

She didn't.

She was gone.

I couldn't tell her I loved her, 

or I missed her, 

or even that I'm sorry. 

That I wanted to be by her side a little while longer. 

Just a little.