Part 5

Y/N POV

You wake up feeling warm and snuggly between your two new pets. Cody is sprawled out on his side next to you while the stray cat you took in last night is lying across your legs like a heater. You haven't slept this well in a long time.

If it turns out you can't find these pets' real owners and they really are strays... maybe keeping them around wouldn't be so bad. You're beginning to like having their comforting presence in your apartment with you.

Breakfast is a chaotic affair, with Cody and the cat fighting over their food. You really hope Cody gets used to having a cat in the house. For now, he seems a little jealous; he's been extra clingy and affectionate with you, and whenever you give the cat any attention, he starts growling.

The black cat hops onto the table with you as you eat and pilfers some of your breakfast. You don't mind, though. You haven't gotten around to buying any actual cat food yet, so it's fine for the cat to have some of your milk for now.

"What should I call you? Do you already have a name?"

The cat meows in response and jumps from the table. He runs over to the little brick fireplace in the living room. You haven't used it in forever, but there are still bits of charred wood and ashes scattered around inside. The cat puts one paw into the ashes, then runs back and plants the paw onto the table right by you. It leaves behind a black pawprint made of ashes.

"Your name is Ash?"

The cat meows and purrs at you.

"Ash...okay," you mutter, a little unsettled by the interaction. Did he really just understand and answer your question? How is the cat so smart? Are you just going crazy?

You head to class, leaving the window open so that Ash can roam around if he gets antsy during the day.

—--------------------------------

Cody POV

We both shift to human form again once Y/N leaves. Yesterday, while Y/N was in class, I stole some men's clothes from an outlet mall and stashed them in her hall closet so that I'd have something to wear when I'm human during the day.

Ash picks an outfit from the pile as well, though the clothes are big on him. I'm more built than he is, with visible muscle definition all over, while he's more lean and graceful.

"Get your own clothes," I grouch at him. "Those are mine."

He shrugs nonchalantly. I don't like how unbothered he is by me, like he's invincible. He should be scared of me. I'm sure I could win if we fought... I just don't want to ruin Y/N's apartment by fighting here.

"I have some stuff stashed away in the city. I'll swing by today and bring my clothes over here. But for now, these are the only men's clothes in the house." he says. "If Y/N had any more, I'd wear those instead."

"She did, but they smelled like some human stranger. I threw them out."

Ash looks at me sharply. "Y/N had a man in her apartment? Does she have a boyfriend?"

"Not if I can do anything about it," I mutter.

He nods. For once, we're in agreement. "I'll find out if she's seeing anyone today."

He heads for the door.

"Hey!" I stop him in the doorway. "Are you seriously just going to live here now? You can't just waltz in and make this your home."

He shrugs. "Why not? You did."

"That's different," I growl. "I moved here first. Y/N likes me. She wants me here."

"I think she likes me, too."

"And what if I tell her you're not really a cat?"

He grins. "How are you going to do that without revealing that you're not really a dog?"

Well, fuck, he's got me there.

I sigh. "Fine. You can stay. For now." Just until I can figure out a way to get rid of him.

I'm just going to have to put up with the smug cat shifter's irritating presence for now. I can handle it, even if he spreads his unpleasant cat scent all over this sanctuary I've found.

It's worth it, to stay close to Y/N.

----------------------------

A quick update for you, my lovelies! Enjoy! 

I'll be updating again tomorrow so comment and vote to get more of Cody and Ash :)