18. ʜᴀʟʟᴏᴡᴇᴇɴ

Mani hummed as she looked at herself in the mirror, eyeing her costume for the hundredth time that day. A costume contest was held at the school, and the girl and Monty decided to participate - going as Marla Singer and Tyler Durden from Fight Club.

„You look good." Monty groaned, fixing his red leather jacket as he grabbed her bag. „Come on, you've been standing here for the past ten minutes. You look great, now let's go!" he whined and grabbed her wrist, the girl laughing as he dragged her to his car.

„Alright! Calm your tits, jeez." she chuckled and got in, Monty throwing her bag in the backseat. The boy shook his head and started the car, letting Mani put some music on as they drove to school.

The girl lit a cigarette and threw her head back, enjoying the breeze as Monty took his Jeep's door off. They drove in comfortable silence before Monty casted her a glance from the corner of his eye, clearing his throat.

„So." Mani turned to him, rising her eyebrows. „Which tape's he on now?" he asked, curiosity getting the best of him. Mani sighed, taking a puff from her cigarette.

„Tyler's, I think." she said quietly, playing with the ring on her finger - the one that Jeff got her for her last birthday.

„You think he'll break his window?" he snickered, taking another turn, the school coming into view. Mani glared at him, which caused the boy to groan. „What? You did the same thing."

„Yeah, but it was stupid." she hissed, and Monty rolled his eyes. „We were drunk and high, Mont. It was stupid."

She did feel bad about being the first one to break Tyler's window. It was the same night that she received the tapes - after hearing hers, she and Monty got drunk, thinking that it would ease hearing the rest.

It didn't.

„I don't regret it." he said, smug smirk on his face as he put his sunglasses on. Mani chuckled, shaking her head as Monty parked his car on his usual spot. They got out, Mani grabbing his hand as they walked inside.

„Looking great!" a voice called out, making the pair turn around. Jess and Justin approached them, dressed as Sid and Nancy. Mani grinned as she hugged them both, taking their costumes in.

„Us? Look at yourselves!" she exclaimed, waving her hands as the two chuckled. Monty wrapped his arm around Mani's waist as the four chatted, waiting for their first class to start.

„Hey, um." a voice spoke up, making them turn around. Tyler stood behind them, camera in his hand. „Can I take a pic? For yearbook?" he asked, showing his camera.

„Fuck off." Monty hissed, taking a step towards him. Mani rolled her eyes and grabbed his arm.

„Sure." she grabbed Monty's ear and dragged him back, the boy complaining as she forced him to pose next to her, Justin and Jessica. The four friends smiled and Tyler took a picture, holding his thumbs up before stalking away. „That waz rude." Mani scolded, making Monty groan and stalk away, throwing his hands in the air.

She smiled to herself, saying a quick goodbye to Justin and Jess before walking down the hallway. She kept her head high, feeling people's eyes on her, but for the first time in a while - she loved the attention.

„Alex will be there. Oh, Mani too. Yo, Shady!" Bryce's voice got her attention, making her approach the four boys. She cringed as she eyed Bryce, Zach and Alex, the three boys wearing diving masks as their costumes.

„You guys are sure winners." she teased as Zach wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Bryce pouted, nudging her with his shoulder.

„Always so mean, and for what?" he asked, sighing dramatically. Armani rolled her eyes playfully before her eyes focused on Clay, who watched the interaction with wide eyes.