12. ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴄᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛ

The summer break was ending, which meant the whole school was going to Jessica's party, that including the Atkins siblings and their friend group.

At the moment, Armani, Zoya and Sheri were all getting ready together in the latter's room. Music played loudly as the three girls sang the lyrics, Sheri dancing around using her hairbrush as a microphone.

„I feel I look like, so fat in this top." Zoya complained as she looked at her reflection in Sheri's mirror. Mani threw a pillow at her head, making the redhead gasp.

„You look beautiful. Shut up." Sheri agreed and Zoya blushed lightly. „Okay, so we're ready to go?"

„Yeah, come on!" Sheri cheered and grabbed both girls' hands, dragging them out towards her car. Mani got a notification, making her look down at her phone as they got in.

monty 💩
are you guys there yet?

little shit 🤍
nah, we're just leaving sheri's

monty 💩
can u pick me up?

little shit 🤍
yeah cool

„Yo Sheri, we're picking up Monty." Mani said as she got in the backseat, letting Zoya get the shotgun.

„Yeah, sure." the black skinned girl agreed and started the car, making her way towards Monty's house. Mani kept her hands on Zoya's shoulders as the three girls talked, but she couldn't help the gut feeling that something wrong was about to happen. They pulled up at Monty's and the boy got in, shutting the door closed. Sheri looked at him through the rear mirror with worry, while Mani softly grabbed his hand. He kept his head down.

„Monty?" Mani whispered and Zoya turned the music up, giving the two some privacy. They boy looked up at his best friend, a fresh bruise on his cheekbone. Her jaw clenched as she touched it gently, Monty leaning into her touch slightly.

„I don't want to talk about it." his voice cracked and she nodded, wrapping her arm around him as he leaned his head on her shoulder. Both Zoya and Sheri decided against asking, knowing that Monty didn't like sharing his home life with anyone. Mani and Jeff were the only ones who he trusted enough to tell and show his weaknesses. And so the two girls kept their eyes on the road, talking to each other, leaving Mani to console Monty quietly in the back.

„Do you want to stay at mine's? We can skip the party, it's okay. I'm sure Jeff would stay too, we could have a sleepover?" she offered, but Monty quickly shook his head.

„No, no. It's fine, let's go and have fun." he denied, and Mani nodded, giving him a small smile and kissing his head.

That decision was going to haunt Monty for the rest of his life.

They approached Jess' house and got out, Mani holding Monty's hand. It was 6:30 pm, so nobody except for Zach and Justin would be there, seeing as they all agreed to help Jess with preparations. Sheri jogged up the stairs and knocked, Jess opening the door with a wide smile on her face.

„Hi!" she exclaimed and hugged Sheri before doing the same with all of them. They walked inside and Monty immediately wandered off to find Zach who was supposed to be preparing the keg.

„So, what do we do?" Mani asked, rubbing her hands together.

„You can help the boys with the keg. We'll take care of drinks." Mani nodded and went to find Zach and Monty. The two were fighting over how to tap the keg in the backyard. She rolled her eyes playfully and approached them, tickling Zach which made him jump and curse as she and Monty laughed at him.