009 | Highway Troubles

Start from the beginning

Sadly, it didn't fit because it was too big and fell in front of her eyes right away. She took it off, checking the back of it. She knew you could adjust the sizes, but she was confused as to how she was supposed to do that on this cap. It had a strap that had been pulled through a metal ring. Elodie pulled at the elastic strap, frowning when it didn't do anything. She huffed and tossed it back on the dashboard, disappointed in the stupid way to adjust the size.

Rummaging through the glove compartment first, she found a few loose papers and an old pair of sunglasses, but nothing particularly useful. She inspected the sunglasses for a moment, placing them on her face for a small moment but quickly taking them off after they just slid down her nose. Why was everything so big on her? She couldn't find any cool things that way! She tossed everything aside with a huff and moved on to the middle console.

As Elodie rummaged through the middle console, her fingers brushed against a stack of small cards tucked away in a corner. Curious, she pulled them out one by one, her eyes widening in surprise at what she found.

Each card was decorated with cool drawings and playful doodles, along with simple phrases written in bold letters. Some cards said things like "hello" and "please," while others were a bit more blunt, with phrases like "shut the fuck up" and "fuck you."

Elodie couldn't help but giggle at all the cards. Who would have thought to carry around a collection of such silly cards? She flipped through them, a smile tugging at her lip at the various drawings and messages.

Then, one card caught her eye. It had the name "Kasper" written on it in neat handwriting, there was a drawing of a blonde boy holding a frog, with bees buzzing around him on it. She wondered why the owner of these cards had them. Maybe they didn't really like talking, Elodie thought. Or, maybe they couldn't hear as well, just like her.

She shrugged, holding the card up to eye-level. It didn't really matter to her what the cards were for. She just knew she really liked the person who made them because the drawings were really cool.

She flipped to the next card, grinning at the sight of another cartoon-style drawing of a girl with red hair and obvious sunglasses. Underneath the doodle was written: 'Indie, AKA the best person ever'. Elodie liked the name Indie, it was really pretty. Though maybe she just thought that because hers and Indie's name both ended in '-die'.

Her amusement grew when she flipped to the next card again, the name 'Agnes' written underneath a drawing of a smaller girl wearing a robe with blue and gray stripes. She was holding a wand in her hand, and she looked really happy.

Elodie carefully arranged the cards with the names-Kasper, Indie, and Agnes-on the passenger seat, making sure they were placed neatly and wouldn't slide off. Then, she tucked the remaining cards with the phrases into her back pocket, deciding to keep them.

With a satisfied smile, Elodie exited the car, clutching the stack of cards in her pocket. She had wanted to show them to Daryl, thinking he might find them amusing too. But as she looked around, she realized that everyone was gone. Panic gripped her chest as she scanned the area, searching for any sign of where everyone had suddenly gone.

She furrowed her brows as she slammed the car door shut, a little harder than intended, and took another look around. The roads were empty, no one to be seen. How could everyone have disappeared so quickly? Her heart pounded in her chest as she scanned the deserted road, her mind racing with possibilities. Had they been ambushed by walkers? Had something gone terribly wrong? They didn't drive off, because the RV was still there.

"Hello?" she called out, trying not to be too loud. She turned in her spot, fear coursing through her veins as she fiddled with the skin on her fingers. Her voice wobbled as she said, "Where'd ya go?"