{ sixteen }

O L I V I A

I sat down on my bed while Andrea put my mascara on for me; some expensive brand in a shade called Pitch Black. She had decorated my apartment and bought all the snacks and drinks. Johnson was the iPod DJ for the night. He conjured up a mix of his own. It was good seeing him, one of the most sane people in our dysfunctional group.

"So Sydney said she can't make it," Andrea said.

"Oh that's too bad," I replied sarcastically.

"Oh," she laughed. "I forgot you two hate each other."

"I don't hate her...I just wouldn't mind if she happened to get dragged down to hell."

"Liv..."

"It's not hate." I held my hands up.

It sounded like more people arrived within moments and Andrea couldn't stop primping me up for the guests. I could care less how I looked for them. If it were up to me, I'd walk out there in one of Nate's old t-shirts & jeans. But...considering whatever we had packed for our trip got stolen and my supposed boyfriend is missing in action, I guess that's not an option.

I only recognized a handful of people from college and they brought their unknown friends. There wasn't much talking on my end, mainly nodding during irrelevant conversations and knocking back a shot when I could. I was already being bad; I'm not supposed to drink while on my meds. But I won't mind the loopy sensations and easy drowsiness. Any excuse to go lay down away from people sounds great to me. Nothing has been enjoyable anymore since Nate hasn't been around. Food doesn't taste the same and my Netflix shows don't make me laugh like they used to. I tried while I was in the hospital, to re-watch every episode of Parks and Rec. But it hurt too much to laugh at the obvious funny moments; both physically and emotionally.

I was mixing up my second drink when the front door open. In walked Sammy sporting a cast on his arm. I quickly remembered the phone call with him and Foosh; then I ran up to him and hugged him, apologizing numerous times.

"I'm just glad you're okay," he said before kissing my cheek.

"I could say the same for you!"

"Yeah." He wiggled his fingers. "I'll be okay. Just...holy shit, what the hell were you into?"

"Long story and I only wanna drink," I grinned.

Andrea approaches us with two shots of rum.

"Bottoms up then," he smirked.

. . .

N A T E

The guys didn't want to hit up the party if I didn't want to go. So instead, we all piled into the car and decided to hit up a few local bars. Everyone was hype while I sat there smoking & staring out the window.

"Please tell me you're gettin' some tonight," Kev pleaded with me. "I can't take this woe is me bullshit."

"Shit, don't look then. Only thing I'm on tonight is alcohol and kush-- yo Mike, you missed the turn."

"Oh, did I?" He didn't sound too concerned. "My bad, it's okay I know a shortcut."

"You don't know a fuckin' shortcut," I said quietly. "We're going to that dumbass party huh?"

"I always knew you were smart," Swazz smiled wide from the passenger seat.

"Fuck outta here," I said, passing him the blunt. "Whose party is this anyway?"