{3}

It was already dark again when I decided it was safe enough to come out of the woods. I hadn't noticed anyone come out in about an hour, so I was guessing they all had finally called it a night.

I know it probably wasn't super late, but It was cold, dark, and way too scary for me to still be in the woods.

I started walking across the lawn, toward the truck. It had the jacket I used earlier, and I knew it had boots in there too.

I slowly climbed up the tire and leaned over to grab the jacket. Once I got that I went to move the boots, there were two, and the one I grabbed I immediately regretted it. These ones had spurs on them, and they began to rattle and make noise the more I tried to move them across the bed of the truck.

I grit my teeth as it started scraping across it. I let it go in an instant and reached over for the other boots.

I got down before putting on the jacket and boots, while praying nobody heard it. I slipped the boots on my wet socks. That's all I had. I was in such a rush to leave yesterday that..

Anyway, they're a little big but I'd rather have shoes on my feet than a cold soul. I looked toward the barn. That would be my best bet to sleeping tonight.

I trudged over there, making sure I wasn't super close to the other house. I didn't want to trigger any motion lights or dogs or alarms.

I entered into the door, which had to be given a little shove to get it to open. I left it cracked in case I needed to get out of here. I didn't wanna be caught.

It was pitch black in there, but you could hear the horses puffing their lips and moving around. I didn't want to startle them, so I flipped on the light. Besides, everyone is inside now, starting to go to bed. Nobody would notice.

There were a lot of horses, and this was a big barn. I started on the left, I wanted to see all of them. They were all so kind and sweet and gentle. And they all were different patterns. As I got to the last one, I hear heavy footsteps coming toward the door, faster and faster.

I started to freak out and I ran to the door, trying to get there fast enough to turn off the light. I knew I wouldn't be fast enough to get out the door, so I'll have to wait until he's inside, whoever it is.

I bet it's the guy with the truck.

I was crouched near a few hay bales and buckets, the side of me against the stall of the first horse. I shrink down even more when I see his tall figure enter.

The damn cowboy is smart. He's blocking the door with his body. He knows I'm in here, well, someone is in here. I'm praying I don't get shot.

He hasn't said a word yet, he's just looking all around. I see his hand go to the light and that's when I turned on my survival instincts.

I lunged for him, reaching for his back. I got on him with him struggling to get me off of him. I grabbed his throat and held on tight. I was not going to get beat up again, not tonight. And I was not going back there either.

He was starting to grab my arms and pry me off of him, but I wasn't going to budge. That was until he started backing up, he went at the wall with full force and slammed his body against it. More like my body, that was smashed in the middle of the two.

I immediately let go, and I fell to the ground, as I was trying to get up, I felt a hand on the jacket I was wearing. I kicked his knee and brought my arm up and punched him as hard as I could in the face, I think I got his cheek.

Since he couldn't see me, and he didn't know I was just a kid, he gave no mercy. He punched me twice before getting up and flicking on the light.

Once he saw me, I saw his eyes change. He didn't look mad anymore. But he sure looks scary.