3. Holding An Eye Is So Coquette!

Annabeth was waiting for us in an alley down Church Street. She pulled the three of us off the sidewalk just as a fire truck screamed past, heading for my ex-school.

"Where'd you find him?" She demanded, pointing at Tyson.

I shrugged, yawned, and sat down cross legged. Dunno, kinda just found him, but more importantly, why can't I pass seventh grade?

"He's our friend," Percy told her, glaring.

Uh oh, lovebirds are fighting againnnn.

"Is he homeless?" Annie asked.

"What does that have to do with anything? He can hear you, you know. Why don't you ask him?"

She looked surprised. "He can talk?"

Tyson sat down with me, tinkering with nuts and bolts on the floor, and smiling at me. "I can talk," he admitted. "You are pretty."

"Aww! He likes you, Annabeth!" I said, ruffling the boy's hair.

"Ah! Gross!" Annabeth stepped away from us, and I realized the situation.

Excuse me? I know, you did not just pull that when a sweet boy like Tyson, just complimented you.

I couldn't believe she was being so rude. I examined Tyson's hands, which I was sure must've been badly scorched by the flaming dodge balls, but they looked fine. "Tyson," I said in awe. "You're hands aren't even burned."

"Of course not," Annabeth muttered. "I'm surprised the Laistrygonians had the guts to attack you with him around."

Tyson seemed fascinated by Annabeth's blond hair. He tried to touch it, but she smacked his hand away.

I glared at her as Percy spoke, "Annabeth, what are you talking about? Laistry-what?"

"Laistrygonians. The monsters in the gym. They're a race of giant cannibals who live in the far north. Odysseus ran into them once, but I've never seen them as far south as New York before."

"Huh? What would you call them in English?"

She thought about it for a moment. "Canadians," she decided. "Now come on, we have to get out of here."

I wanted to laugh, but I was still upset at her.

Imagine we meet a Canadian and I bring this up.

"The police'll be after us." I stated.

"When are they not?" She raised an eyebrow "Have you guys been having the dreams?"

"The dreams . . . About Grover?"

Her face turned pale. "Grover? No, what about Grover?"

We told her our dreams. "Why? What are you  dreaming about?"

Her eyes looked stormy, like she was plotting a Megamind kinda plan.

"Camp," she said at last. "Big trouble at camp."

I sighed. "Our mom was saying the same thing. But what kind  of trouble?"

"I don't know exactly. Something's wrong. We have to get there right away. Monsters have been chasing me all the way from Virginia, trying to stop me. Have you had a lot of attacks?"

I shook my head, which Tyson was now plaiting for me in two braids. I probably messed it up, but he always re -did it perfectly. "None all year . . . Until today."

"None? With a scent as strong as two  children of Poseidon, they'd know where you are. Not even adding with your blessing scenes too. But how . . ." Her eyes drifted to Tyson. "Oh."