chapter 3

"Chance; my name is chance. Yeah, I live over here too. Are going to warlock?"

"High school?" I asked

"No the bowling alley," he said sarcastically. He paused. "Yeah, I was kidding. Yes, the school."

"Yeah I am. Are you?" I can't believe I'm actually talking to someone. I'm usually so nervous.

"Yeah, I'm a junior though. You look like a sophomore." ugh. How did he know that? Everyone else who tried to guess my age said senior.

"How do you know that?"

"You look older but you were in the swings and seniors and juniors don't swing on swing sets, but a lot of sophomores do." I looked down my shyness finally showing. "Don't worry. It's cute.

I could feel myself blush. Why do guys have this kind of impact on me? "Thanks. What do you like to do in free time? I hope you don't just guess random girl's ages.

"Actually I usually don't. I like to run a lot. In fact, that's what I was doing before I came over here." He came and sat in the swing beside me. "How about you? I hope you don't just swing on swing sets at elementary schools everyday."

"Well actually I don't. I like to read." I must sound like a total nerd. He runs and I read. "Oh. I also played softball last year at my old high school." This is actually a complete lie but I need to sound at least a little athletic. "I was pretty good but I don't think I'm going to play anymore though.

"Why not?" I should have seen that one coming.

"My dad forced me to play. My dad is sort of the reason I'm here."

"What do you mean 'sort of.'?"

"It's kind of personal." Even if I am lying about playing softball it doesn't mean I'm lying about my dad. He is the reason that I'm here.

"I get it. You don't want to talk about it. That's cool with me. Where'd you move from?"

"michigan." It was so quiet and peaceful there. I miss it.

"Did you like it there?" that's always the question that I get asked when I move somewhere.

"I loved it. Just to many memories and such. My mom couldn't stand it anymore." I looked at my phone because it started ringing. "Sorry, Chance, it's my mom I have to take this." He nodded. I slid the bar across the screen. "Hello?

"Where are you?" my mom never worried about me so I knew she wasn't worried now.

"The park; I texted you and told you."

"Oh. I guess I just didn't get it. I just got back from grocery shopping and couldn't find you. Be home in about twenty minutes. Okay?"

"Uh.... Yeah. Just a second please." I pulled the phone away from my face. "Chance, do you want to have dinner with me?"

"That sounds great." He smiled.

"Hey, Mom, can my new friend, Chance, come over for dinner?"

"Yeah, sweetheart, that's fine." I knew that she wouldn't care.

"Alright, I'm on my way home now, then."

"So were friends?" he asked, "I didn't know that.

"I just assumed that you would be cool-"

"I was kidding." I playfully slapped his arm." So, what's for dinner?"

"Depends. What do you want?"