Cath - Chapter Fifty Three

Start from the beginning

"So we are... About... Half way there?" She kept insisting on talking. I hoped she wouldn't get dizzy and fall over suddenly. "We made... Roughly... Five hundred... Miles so far... Right?"

"That's a generous estimate, but yes... Between around four hundred and four hundred and fifty, I guess." I nodded. At first, I thought she meant half of our running session, but we only started. She barely kept up with me. "I'm surprised you knew..."

"I'm... Not... That... Hopeless." She claimed, wheezing already. Her face was red, and she was sweating a lot. We were less than ten minutes in, but she wasn't slowing down. I had to praise her somehow.

"Oh, it's not what I meant..." I protested, trying to think of something nice. "It just seemed Your Highness was down in the dumps the whole time... I thought you weren't paying attention to where we were..."

I evaded another punch. It was less fierce than the first one, but I called her the wrong name. She seemed like she tried to complain, but no voice could escape her lips.

"Sorry, I know." I apologized at least. "Should we take a break?"

"How much... Did we run?" She asked.

"Um... About a mile?" I answered. I hated to disappoint her, but we were still at the start. "But early on, it's normal to walk half the distance. Don't force yourself, that would hurt more than you could gain from it."

That did it. She suddenly collapsed and laid out in the grass, and struggled for air. I didn't tell her to stop though.

"I said walking, not sleeping!" I yelled, trying to drag her to her feet.

"I can't... I'm dying." She protested, letting herself go completely.

"This is how you can get cramps... Or a cold," I warned her but was willing to allow some rest. "If Your Majesty manages to stand up and walk, I can offer you more water..."

She punched into the air, her lowest effort so far. She closed her eyes, her face all sweaty and red. She gathered her strength.

"It's Elizabeth." She said. "Why can't you call me by my name?"

"Ah... Um... Force of habit." I explained. It was... Ever since I enlisted in the Church's army, they forced me to respect the higher ranks, and there wasn't much higher than being the last remaining Princess of Cranta. She demanded us to keep her rank in mind too, but now she wasn't satisfied with my answer. She opened her eyes only to glare at me. "I'll try my best... Elizabeth."

"Good..." She sighed, slowly collecting herself. "It's not like I told you to call me Lizzy or anything... It's just my name... Use it properly."

"Yes, Ma'am." I smiled. She reached her arm towards me, and I pulled her up from the ground. "Let us continue then. How about we walk to that ruin, then try some more running?"

"I'm not going anywhere until you give me that water you promised." She announced hands on her hips. This had me laugh, and I handed her the waterskin. "This barely has anything in it."

"You can drink as much as you want once we get to the stream." I reminded her. At least she was a little more motivated to continue. I didn't let her walk lazily either. She couldn't catch her breath by the end. "All right, let's run some more."

We had to slow down and even stop a few more times but reached the stream. Normally, it would have taken me an hour, maybe one and a half. Her first attempt was closer to two and a half, but she didn't give up.

Her entire body steamed though. Losing her composure, she stripped off most of her garments and jumped into the stream once we finally got there. She didn't even check the water beforehand and screamed cold. I decided to set up a campfire before filling up our waterskins. I couldn't have her get sick in this early autumn weather.

She finished playing and ran to warm herself up, by the time the flames vigorously danced. Her hair got wet, leaking the dye I used to hide its unique color. I also warmed some food, and she wolfed it down without a question.

"See, even your appetite is much better after jogging." I laughed. "And we just had lunch, before setting out."

"Ifs bheen haaf a gey." She claimed, her mouth stuffed with food.

"It was less than three hours." I shook my head, still smiling. "This time needs to improve a lot. One hour would be ideal."

"Han wour? Imhossibu." I couldn't imagine seeing the Princess gobble her food like this before, let alone talking like this. While she always acted like a brat, she took the etiquette seriously.

"We'll just have to practice until your stamina gets better." I nodded, satisfied with her performance overall. "Once you finish, and dry yourself, we can move on to the sword training."

She didn't answer this time, maybe didn't hear from all the chewing or pretended not to listen... But I could grant her a little rest. I still needed to fill our water supply and wanted to bathe. The stream was crystal clear and rather cold, but it felt nice after our ten miles.

The spring must have been close since the other bodies of water seemed a lot dirtier. The only exception was the little stream of Nateaser... I wondered how they kept it that clean in the middle of the forest and was curious about how they were doing now. I hoped they didn't abuse Lambert as much as our Elder did, always having him treat the wounded and order him around.

"Hey, Cath. What's the holdup? Aren't you ready yet?" The princess demanded right as I finished with everything. She seemed eager to continue. "I'll be borrowing your sword this time. You get the scabbard."

"Fine by me." I giggled. So far we did it the other way around since the scabbard was lighter than the falchion. She realized it quickly, trying to unsheath it. She refused to complain though. I felt proud. "All right, let's get started, Elizabeth."

"Finally!" She yelled and started her bargaining. "If I can land a hit on you, you'll teach me a prayer as a reward."

"That's not how prayers work..." I tried to explain, but she attacked. Well, it didn't matter much. If she wanted to learn them after landing a hit that wouldn't happen anytime soon...