YEJI[CHAPTER 26]

MY GRANDFATHER WANTED TO KNOW HOW MY DATE WITH STEFFAN WENT. That was right. The reason the king summoned me to his office immediately after I returned to the palace was so I could give him a detailed breakdown of my first date with the

future Duke—and potential future Princess Consort.

He did also apologize for not including me in the "emergency" tax reform meeting, which Yeonjun called at the last minute. I was convinced Yeonjun did so knowing I wouldn't be able to attend because of my date with Rei, but I couldn't prove it.

Sunoo, meanwhile, was convinced Rei was the one. Based on what, I wasn't sure, but I imagined Rei's title, photogenic looks, and diplomatic demeanor had something to do with it.

My grandfather wasn't the only one. The press and public went wild for the photos of us at the ice-skating rink, and everyone was already buzzing about our "burgeoning relationship" even though I'd spoken to Rei twice in my life.

Still, Seoyeon insisted I capitalize on the attention with another date. It would be a "private" one with no reporters—to give the illusion of intimacy—but would later "leak" to the press. I agreed, if only because she was right. The Part-Time Princess headlines had disappeared, replaced by breathless speculation over the new "love" in my life. If only they knew.

On paper, Rei would make the perfect Wife. She was good-looking, intelligent, kind, and funny, and she was by far the best option out of the so-called eligible bachelors who'd attended my birthday ball. There was only one problem: no chemistry.

None. Zip. Nada.

I had as much romantic interest in Rei as I did the succulent plant in my room.

"It's because you haven't kissed her yet," Chaeryeong said when I told her about my dilemma. "At least kiss the girl. You can tell everything based on one kiss." She may be right.

So, at the end of my second date with Rei, I worked up the nerve to kiss her, even though it seemed far too soon. But she was leaving for Preoria tomorrow, and I needed to know if this would go anywhere. I couldn't spend weeks wondering.

"I must admit, I was surprised you wanted to meet again so soon after our first date." She gave me a shy smile."Pleasantly surprised, that is."

We walked through the Royal Botanic Gardens' large, heated greenhouse. Lush flowers bloomed around every corner, scenting the air with their sweet perfume, and strings of lights twinkled overhead like tiny stars. It was as romantic a setting as one could hope for, and I tried to focus on Rei instead of the scowling bodyguard shadowing our every move.

If looks could kill, Ryujin would've put Rei six feet in the ground by now. That was another reason I was hesitant to kiss Rei. It seemed...wrong to do that in front of Ryujin. God, I wished I'd thought this through beforehand.

"I had fun," I said when I realized I hadn't responded yet.

"Thanks for agreeing even though I'm sure you're busy preparing for your trip tomorrow."

"Of course." Rei smiled. I smiled. My palms slicked with sweat.

Just do it. One tiny kiss. You have nothing to feel guilty about. You and Ryujin aren't dating.

"I'm not sure why, but I have the strangest desire to give a rundown of all the fun facts I know about flowers," Rei said. "Did you know tulips were worth more than gold in seventeenth-century Holland? Literally."

That's what happens when I'm nervous. I start spouting all sorts of useless facts.

A subtle hint from Rei she wanted a kiss too. She had noreason to be nervous otherwise.