Chapter 17

"Essy?"

Essy heard her name being called out but it felt like it came from two rooms across. She could barely open her eyes due to the pounding migraine on her temple that was threatening murder if not addressed.

"Essy? Oh I think she's waking up," someone said.

"Gina?" Essy said weakly.

"Yes! Yes! Es it's me, you're okay," Gina said excitedly.

"What? Are we finally out?" Essy asked. Her voice choked and her eyes teared.

Gina stared at her friend in pity. She had never seen Essy be so broken and worn down. Essy had always been the strongest in their clique and everyone could turn to her. Heck, she'd supported them all when Mike and Melissa died, but now, she looked like she'd been kicked continuously when she was already down.

Gina shook her head slowly and Essy's tears fell.

"What happened Es, you said that it has Kai. Where is Kai?" Gina asked helping Essy sit up on the bed.

"How long was I out?" Essy asked.

"About 10 minutes,"

"Shit!" She struggled to sit up.

"What's up Es, we came to get you guys so please run me down everything that happened so that we can start looking for Kai," Gina said.

"We?"

"Yea, me and-"

"Don't!" Mike warned.

Gina fell silent staring at Mike puzzled. He slowly shook his head.

"Nevermind, what happened," she turned back to Essy.

[Flashback]

Essy woke up in a house. A familiar house, this was her friends' house.

The Rivers house.

Beside her lay both Linny and Kai. Essy looked around and saw workers everywhere taking care of the house. Everything seemed normal around them. Did they come back from the vacation? But why would they be on the ground in the lobby? What the hell was going on?

"Excuse me?" Essy called onto on the maid rushing past while trying to get up but to her utter shock, the maid walked past her without so much as a glance towards her direction.

"What the.... Excuse me sir," she called on to another worker but nothing. No one was responding. They weren't looking at her at all even when she shouted at them.

They couldn't see her!

Essy came to the realization that they were in trouble. Obviously, this wasn't normal. Were they dead and in their spirit forms? She quickly remembered the last things she'd seen back at the house in the resort. She remembered tying up Mrs Rivers and the mist rising.

Were they still under it's influence? She didn't want to even think of how bad that would be. She had seen how it had taken control of  both Tiben and Kiel back at the house.

"Guys! Wake up!" She frantically shook Linny and Kai.

"Urgh! Sis you're the worst when it comes to waking people," Kai groaned sleepily.

"Wake the fuck up, trouble!" she said.

Both Linny and Kai sat up and looked around.

"Why are we in my house?" Linny asked softly.

"Shit! Did they get us?" Kai exclaimed jumping up.

"Worse, watch," Essy walked over to a servant and stood infront of his face. She screamed, hit him but he did not acknowledge her. He couldn't see her.