2: Ego Within

You.

Who are you really?

To be honest, you're not entirely sure. So much for living a long time, but you ARE old.

In general, you're the first to bite the fruit, the one who negotiated with something equivalent to a God, the one who survived all odds to live another day, and someone who's more experienced in the battlefield than anyone.

You couldn't help but wonder, why? Why are you still alive?

You don't know the answer, but only Yaoshi and fate probably know that answer best.

Primus Immortus.

The prime and the original immortal. That's what they labeled you as now, derived from your old self. Which is probably the best thing possible for you, since merely remembering your name would bring up some...

Distasteful memories.

So, this all comes back to that question.

Who are you?

You are...

You.

The smell of burnt Ginkgo leaves invaded your nose.

Its scent is similar to that of a bygone memory, a past to be forgotten, an ashen era that no one is living in nor anybody from it is here, all alone in a distant wasteland.

Some of the leaves on your face are being consumed by your flames, burning it away to reveal your pristine reflection on the ingenia. Still the same from all those years of isolation, war, and eternal life.

With a determined face, you look at the device.

You have come to a conclusion.

"Yes... I remember even though it's mostly partial moments of it"

Even the pain, you could still feel it.

"My sin, everyone who dies before me, and all of that suffering during my time here"

You chuckled, "I may be old..."

"But I'm still as clear headed as I was in the past, youngster"

"Ah... But, you're still Mara-struck, are you?"

Crossing your arms, you tilt your head slightly with raised eyebrows.

"Probably, but isn't it fascinating that I still am myself even in peril? Because I find it as such"

There was a pause in your conversation between the marshal from the other end, he's probably contemplating and trying to deduce you to expose the lies.

But in truth, all that you've said is the truth and only truth, one that's best to your current knowledge.

It's sad that you're still continuing to live without your fellow comrades, out living the beauty and horror of your past. However it's all the more worth it.

Now you get why the general fears death, but that doesn't justify everything, no no, that'd be stupid.

Oh well, he's dead and you're not!

Okay enough jokes about dead people and being sad about it.

The past is in the past.

"You are correct, this is indeed an interesting phenomena"

"To think you could overcome Mara is... Abnormal"

You nodded, agreeing to his statement.