CHAPTER TEN, camping at cherry creek

The next morning, Hollyn woke up early, the excitement and nervous energy coursing through her veins. She quickly got ready, packed the last few items in her backpack, and double-checked everything. Lottie had woken up when Hollyn did and had been watching her curiously. She got up, her tail wagging when she realized her owner was going somewhere. Hollyn's heart melted at seeing that and she knelt in front of her, scratching behind Lottie's ears.

"I'm sorry, girl, but you can't come with us this time. We'll go another time, okay?" She tells her, kissing the top of her head. Lottie let out a soft whimper and licked Hollyn's face. "Aw, I'll miss you too. But I'll be back soon, okay? I promise."

Lottie huffs, nuzzling Hollyn's face and gives her a small lick. Hollyn smiles, rubbing the top of Lottie's head. She got up and grabs her phone before she left the room with Lottie trailing behind her. She went downstairs and was greeted by her parents. They were both dressed in their pajamas and were enjoying breakfast.

"Morning, sweetheart. You're up early." James commented, looking up from the newspaper he was reading.

"Yeah, Cole and I agreed to meet up around nine, and I wanted to get an early start." Hollyn replies, pouring herself a cup of coffee. She knew her dad would ask, so she continued. "We're going camping for the weekend. Since today is homecoming, I thought it would be nice to get away from the chaos."

James smiles softly as he nods in understanding. "That's sweet of you, Hollyn. I'm sure Cole will appreciate it."

"I hope so." Hollyn smiles, taking a sip of her coffee. "Do you need me to do anything before I leave?" She asked, glancing between her parents as she grabbed some of the bacon off the plate on the kitchen island to eat. She had noticed some bacon and eggs were already made. Carolyn and James exchanged a glance, silently communicating with each other.

"No, we're good here. Go have fun, sweetheart." Carolyn reassured her, glancing back at her with a soft smile.

"But not too much fun." James added, causing her face to turn red.

"Dad!" Hollyn mumbled, rolling her eyes playfully. She knew her parents were just teasing her, but it still made her cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"Sorry, couldn't resist," James chuckled, giving her a wink.

Hollyn stayed standing at the kitchen island, continuing to eat some more bacon as she checks the time on her phone. It was still a bit early so she decided to grab herself a plate and get some eggs to. She loved her dad's cooking. "Dad, I swear, if you didn't own and work at the ranch, you could easily become a chef." She murmured as she continued eating.

James chuckles, smiling at the compliment. "Thanks, kiddo." He replied, finishing the rest of his coffee.

After Hollyn finished eating, she put away her empty dishes into the dishwasher. She gave her parents a side hug and grabs her backpack. "Alright, I'm heading out. I'll let you know when we arrive. Love you guys."

"Have fun, sweetheart!" Carolyn called out.

"Don't forget to call if you need anything." James added.

Hollyn smiles and heads out the door. She went over to her car and placed her backpack in the trunk before she climbs into the driver's seat and starts the engine. Her heart was pounding as she left her house and went next door, anticipation and excitement coursing through her veins.

When she pulled into Cole's driveway, she saw he was sitting on the porch with his backpack next to him and he was looking down at his phone. As she climbed out of her car, his head snapped up and he grinned. Hollyn smiled, her heart skipping a beat at seeing him.