The Cost Of Being A Survivor

The drive to town was filled with chatter, chatter that you didn't bothering listening to, all you could focus on was Tobias' heartbeat. How hungry you've become, if you don't eat and soon, you'll lose yourself into bloodlust.

When the car came to a stop it was silent, the chatter ceasing, "Why'd we stop?" Tobias asked and no one answered.

You peered outside and you wish you didn't, the silence answered for itself. Outside were cars and the undead blocking the road- why didn't they just drive through it- fuck, that's why.

A large, mangled creature was in the middle of the road, its body deformed and spine poking out of its back between strands of rotting flesh. It's mouth was torn, unhinged jaw hanging down showing sharp, jagged teeth with body parts stuck in between said teeth.

Their skin was grayish-black, long limbs broken and one chopped off. It was crawling on the ground, two, large white eyes staring blankly ahead. It groaned once, and that singular sound vibrated the car and Ange squealed, slapping a hand over her mouth as Ava did the same, eyes widened in horror.

It snarled, then snapped its jaws - which made a horrifying crack when it reconnected back to the sockets - around an undead, eating and crunching it down before it was gone.

What. The. Fuck.

"Okay, here's the plan." Henry whispered, keeping his eyes on the monstrosity in the road, "We're going to exit the car-"

"Henry, I don't think that's a good idea." Tom spoke up for once. He'd been silent the entire time, chiming in here and there while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Just trust me. If we stay here, we're dead. If we move the car now, we're dead. What else can we do?" Henry pointed out and you mentally agreed, he was right. What else could you do?

"What do you mean, we're dead?" You asked this time, keeping your voice low, "We could reverse the car right now and get the hell out of dodge."

"They may be dead but their bones aren't brittle! They'd damage the car and we won't be able to reverse it either without getting that things attention. Those limbs could grab us the moment we tried to get out, crush us even!" Henry pointed at the limbs and he was right, that thing may be crawling but that doesn't mean it's not deadly.

"Okay, continue with your plan." You told him and he did so, his expression stern and serious as he looked at all of you - especially Tobias.

"We sneak out the car, and since there are barely any undead behind us thanks to that thing, we'll be able to make it to that house." Henry pointed at the house on the right, it was white, blood-stained a bit and the front door was ajar, better than all the rest that were closed.

"On the count of three." Henry started, raising his fingers.

"One." Tobias tensed under you.

"Two." You wrapped your arms around him.

"Three." then slowly, out the door you went after Markus. You set Tobias on his feet, grabbing his arm and crouched low, hiding behind the door of the car.

You followed Markus as he walked around the car then quickly, rushed (in a crouch) to the house, up the steps and into doorway, him carrying his trusty rock the whole time.

Ava and Ange were next, crossing one at a time, stopping behind cars when the monster looked your way before going into the house with their trusted bat and wooden plank at their side.

Together, with Tobias you went forward, gently shoving him ahead of you so he could reach the house first. Tobias ran for it - a stupid move from your point of view - and you stayed where you were, pausing behind the car.