Ch. 34 - U Gotta Believe Me

The sound of glass crunching under Oscar's shoes echoed through the hall as he wandered towards one of the tables that hadn't been overturned in the chaos

The sound of glass crunching under Oscar's shoes echoed through the hall as he wandered towards one of the tables that hadn't been overturned in the chaos. It looked out of place, amidst the torn decorations, overturned furniture and dropped glasses that littered the floor—the remnants of the panicked stampede that had followed the gunfire.

Oscar took one of the champagne flutes, still standing elegantly on its tray before heading back to the main entry. On his way he saw the housekeepers already starting to clean up the mess. At least the excitement had made his stunt seem tame. Emergency lights were just starting to come up the drive when Oscar noticed that the men they'd caught were nowhere to be seen and Max was absent too...

Dammit! He couldn't be for real... Max had slunk off without him, again!

But this time, Oscar wasn't getting left behind, he wasn't going sit here with the women and giving his recount of what happened for the police report, he was going after them.

He didn't actually get very far out of the house though, before Duncan pointed at him and motioned for him to come over. He didn't say anything until Oscar had followed him to one of their discrete gray rides.

"Get in the car, Mr. Bradley."

He would have preferred his own ride, but right now he was banking on the fact that Duncan knew where Max was and would get him there faster, so he agreed and got in.

Duncan drove him down the same road Max had taken him to get to where Max's place was... Where Ace's box and shit were. Only, when they pulled up, he didn't take the part of the drive that led to the stables, instead, he turned right, and pulled up around the back of the barn Max hadn't given him a tour of.

Duncan got out, and motioned with his head towards a side door. "Through here."

Oscar was significantly more nervous when Duncan didn't follow, just stayed put right where he was and the feeling only got worse when picked up the first trace of sounds coming within in. The faint shriek and then whimpering made his gut do a flip as he reached the door. He barely opened it, only enough to allow him to squeeze inside without making much of a sound.

Inside was significantly more disturbing than being outside had been. The sounds echoed through the dark structure, that seemed to stretch on uncomfortably. Petie was standing with his arms crossed a ways down near an open door, which was casting the only light source on his front, making it all the more noticeable when he looked over and saw Oscar.

"Mr. Bradley," he called out, beckoning with his hand much like Duncan had. "Over here!"

He swore he could hear Max ask something from inside the lit room, but couldn't understand what he'd said.

The further Oscar ventured into the building, the harder it got for him to remember that this was still part of the same place that Max had shown him the other day. And even though his brain told him that he was on their side and was supposed to be here, his gut told him that he only knew as much about Max as he wanted him to.