Fitz and the Monkey

Fitz really wants a monkey and also to stage a coup

__________________

It wasn't unusual for Simmons to stay awake in the lab late, too caught up in her current project to even consider going to sleep. Currently, she was working on a project that had stumped her for a while, and knew that she was on the verge of a breakthrough. If she stopped now, who knew how long it would take her to get back into the swing of things?

So caught up in her groove, she failed to notice the lights in the corridor outside bursting into life, or the bustle that was definitely atypical for 2am on a weekday. She continued her work completely oblivious, until the door to the lab crashed open.

Simmons jumped as she was pulled out of her hyper-focus, turning to give a glare to the lab tech who had disturbed her.

Surprisingly, the lab tech didn't seem at all put off by Simmons blatant frustration. Instead, she looked at her with wide, excited eyes, "Haven't you heard the news?"

"What news?" Simmons saved her work and stepped away from her computer, sadly resigning herself to the fact that she wouldn't be able to put in any more work tonight if there had been some sort of incident.

"Captain America! They found him."

...Huh.

"What do you mean they found him?" Everyone knew about Captain America- the war-time hero- but Simmons had gone through a phase of particular fixation on Peggy Carter when she was thirteen, so she liked to consider herself more informed than most.

"I don't know the specifics- we're having an emergency briefing. You should find your partner and get to mission control."

With those parting words, the lab tech sped off.

Simmons watched after her for a moment, before shrugging off her lab coat and walking quickly towards the dormitories, her mind buzzing.

The most logical conclusion to come to would be that, finally, Captain America's body had been recovered. He would be able to put to rest properly, and the world could move on, knowing what had happened to its first superhero. However... one shouldn't underestimate the effects of Erskine's super-soldier serum. Simmons had studied it in the past, and though she couldn't be sure, she would consider it likely that it could have preserved the Captain's body.

There was a chance that Captain America could still be very much alive.

Simmons wondered how Peggy Carter would react to this news.

Simmons had made it to Fitz's dorm, and she pushed the door open without bothering to knock. She knew Fitz well, and knew that he could sleep through anything- if she waited for him to respond to a knock, they would certainly miss the emergency briefing, and then they would have to try to get their information from less reliable sources.

So instead she strode across his room and towards his bed, reaching down and pulling his blanket off of him in one fast movement.

Unfortunately, Fitz had been rather tangled in his blanket, and the sudden movement caused him to tumble out of his bed and hit the floor with a rather painful-sounding crash. Simmons winced, but supposed that now she at least wouldn't have to come up with more creative methods of waking him.

Fitz pulled himself upright, looking around with a startled expression and blinking frantically as he tried to work out what had just happened. When his gaze landed on her, he scowled.

"What the hell , Simmons?" He exclaimed, "I was having a lovely dream! We had our own pet monkey, Simmons, and you just tore it from my arms like some sort of monster."