Well, this was unexpected

Start from the beginning

The murder of Max Smith.

"Percy!" Persephone peeked her head out of the door. "Did you hear? Max Smith, son of Athena was found murdered in California's forest." Percy feigned surprise. 

"It was about time that little imbecile died." Hades muttered. "I have a perfect plan of tortures waiting for him in the Fields of Punishment. Let me go get them." He had a tone of malice while he hurried to his throne room where the plans were held. 

"Persephone, when can I get out of here?" Percy whined. "It's so boring here." The goddess bit her lip.

"I'm not sure. The gods believe you are dead and gone for good, but I have a feeling this war isn't over yet. The demigods and the Olympians are still recovering from Kronos' attack—"

Percy felt a flicker of satisfaction. His plan was working. 

"—but I guess you can make a new identity with Hecate's magic." She obliged. "She knows you're alive, by the way. We're close friends."

"I can always use the Mist." He shrugged. "Thanks, Persephone! Tell uncle that I said bye because I'm bored!" He excitedly disappeared to somewhere random.

That wouldn't hurt, would it?

Line break sponsored by Hades' torture plans

"I'm going to try again."

Percy appeared behind a statue and jumped as he heard someone speak. He quickly recognized the voice of his cousin, Nico di Angelo.

"You already looked a bit drained, Sunshine." Will was there, too. "Just rest a little."

"No! I have to talk with him."

Percy peeked from behind the statue and saw Nico crouched on the floor in a graveyard next to a little hole and a Happy Meal. He dumped the remaining contents into the hole and murmured a couple words. Blue mist curled around him and his boyfriend, and an idea suddenly popped up in Percy's head.

He was going to have a little fun.

Will's POV—

"Percy Jackson, appear!" 

A misty shadow materialized into the shape of a person I thought I would never see again.

"Percy?" I found the words coming from my mouth as the distorted image of the son of Poseidon stared at us, his old cloak still draped over his shoulders like he was before. Splatters of golden and scarlet blood stained the fabric.

"What the—what am I doing here?" He stole a glance at Nico and his mouth made the shape of an 'o.'

"I finally found you." Nico breathed. Percy smiled sadly.

"I've missed you, Neeks." His gaze flickered to me. "You taking good care of Death Breath, Tesoro?" I nodded, remember how devastated Nico was after finding out his other sister had mysteriously gone missing. Hades said she wasn't dead, though. Strangely, no one could find Frank, either.

Nico flushed bright red at the sound of the nickname.

"H-How did you know that name?" He spluttered. Percy smirked. 

"I have my ways." He said vaguely, his voice sounding strained. He flickered once.

"I can't hold you here for long." Nico glanced away, looking guilty. 

"It's fine, Death Breath." 

I put a hand on my boyfriend's shoulder. "I think it's time to go home." Percy nodded.

"One thing before you go." He held up a hand. "Tell Annabeth something for me, will ya?" He sounded truly sentimental.

"And what's that?"