CHAPTER 8

The air was thick with sun-warmed concrete as the late morning sun crept above the horizon, casting long shadows across the roof of the Roy Chaudhry Haveli. Anirudh in the wooden Palang beneath a threadbare blanket stirred fitfully, his features twisted in a grotesque parody of sleep. His chest rose and fell with shallow breaths, the rhythm of his sleep punctuated by the distant wail of a lone gull. The Palang itself was little more than a wooden platform raised a foot or two above the ground. Despite the harsh surroundings, there was a sense of serenity that permeated the air, as if the roof top were a sanctuary from the chaos and despair that lurked beyond its makeshift walls.

His eyes flickered open, momentarily confused by the brightness of the sun. He blinked several times, trying to focus on his surroundings, then sat up slowly, wincing as the movement sent a wave of pain through his aching forehead indicating that he had headache even though a mild one. His skin was pale and clammy, and there was an unhealthy sheen to his eyes. With a sigh, he swung his legs over the side of the Palang and planted them firmly on the ground, preparing himself for another day of survival in this unforgiving world. As he grasped the look of his surrounding, he saw everything was normal neither any decorations nor any table, but the wooden bed was enough to prove him that yesterday wasn't any dream.

Thinking about yesterday brought his morning memories of Bondita as she came to wake him up then their day how they spent it peacefully and lastly the conversation, was it a conversation? maybe only answers as a monologue. No, he have to explain it to her he have to tell with this in his mind he started his yellings,

'BONDITA.., BONDITA,  BONDITA'

'BIHARI, BIHARI,  BIHARI...............

Suddenly he heard some jingles coming closer to him.But he realised that those jingles were not from her feet, he saw that Bihari was there with a different plate which has a border adorned with small ghungrus just lke her payal and his clothes were placed on the plate neatly folded. Confused with the sight he asked,

"Bihari, ye sab kya hai."

" Barrister babu, vo bade malik ne kaha aapko jaldi tayaar hone ko. aur ye Bondita malkin ne nayi thaal aayi thi toh de di mujhe kapde laane ko."

"Acha, Bondita kaha hai." Anirudh asked.

" Bondita Malkin toh mandir chali gayi. aap bhi jaldi neeche aa jayiye Bade malik bohot gussa hai."

"Thik hai tum jao."

                                 **********************

Anirudh's pov

I was standing in the study setting my hair while thing about her answers she gave yesternight. She is misunderstanding I have to explain it to her, even though she says that she doesn't hold herself the reason I know that it's not true, I can feel it. And the way she said all those things with that smile it felt like it was burning my heart but I will tell her everything. She will understand I know.

As I heard a knock getting me out of my thoughts, the other two knocks followed it. And a smile crept on my lips I turned suddenly only to meet her empty eyes. There stood she in her usual attire a pale-yellow saree with a full sleeved same coloured blouse and that damn side partition braid, making my smile falter.

"Bondita , come you don't need to knock. Actually, I wanted to talk to you but you were gone to mandir." I said gaining some confidence to start the conversation about last night.

" Barrister Babu, aap free hai abhi, mujhe kuch jaruri kaam tha." She asked ignoring my talk from before.

" Ha Bondita bolo kya kaam hai." I asked.