when home meets home

It was a warm August night in Karachi. The days were longer and the nights were shorter. Tere Bin team had been on set since 10 am, and now the time set to 6 pm. It was time for pack up since everything was shot quickly. It was a relatively shorter day than usual, which the team had been grateful for since the heat tired them out. The evenings were the best, a cool breeze relaxing them, winding them down after a busy day. Wahaj and Yumna headed towards their makeup room to pack and clean up their stuff for the rest of the day.

"Kya kar rahe ho aaj," Yumna asked as she packed up all her makeup in a pouch. She had on a pair of faded blue jeans, and a green crewneck. Her hair was set in a loose ponytail, wanting it out of her way after an all day shoot. Wahaj wore beige khaki pants and a black shirt, one that hugged his biceps so perfectly. The gel in his hair was beginning to wear off, making him appear in a relaxed state. Her eyes lingered at his appearance for a bit, before he spoke and snapped her out of her thoughts. "Kuch nahi, khaana lene jaana hain. Dinner banane ke liye ghar pe koi groceries nahi hain," he replied. Yumna had wanted to invite him over to her house for dinner. She had already told her mom this and had agreed. Her mom had already started prepping in excitement. This was the perfect opportunity to ask him. "Me soch rahi thi, ke aaj tum mere ghar chaloge dinner ke liye? Ammi ne mujhse kaha hain tumhe invite karne ke liye."  He was flustered from her invitation, there was nothing he would've loved more. "Aunty ne invite kiya hain ya tumhe," he teased. Her face flushed because he knew her too well. "Bolo na Wahaj aaoge ya nahi," she whined cutely. "Haaan yaar of course aaunga. Challo," he chuckled.

The sun was barely setting as they drove through the bustling streets. Her phone rang and it was her ammi. She picked up and Wahaj was trying to listen, but couldn't grasp what her mom was saying on the other line. "Haan ammi, Wahaj aa raha hain. "Bas hum panch minute me ponch ne waale hain," she said before hanging up the call. "Your mom is so excited to see me hmmmm," he said tauntingly. He wore that smirk. That smirk. She swore to god that smirk was going to be the end of her one day. "Zyada khush mat ho, just because she was on team Murtasim it seems like you have had this ego," she said slightly annoyed. He chuckled at her reactions. "At least she has good choice, what can I say," he replied. She tried her best to hold back a smile, but failed miserably. They burst into giggles as he pulled up in front of her house.

Yumna unlocked her door and her mom was ready to greet them both. "Ammii," she exclaimed and gave her a warm tight hug. Wahaj stood behind them, watching mother and daughter greet one another after a long day. "Assalammalikum aunty," Wahaj said sweetly as her gave her a hug. She pat his cheek lovingly. "Walaikum salam beta me khush hoon Yumna tumhe lekar aayi," her mom said. That smirk was back once again as he looked at Yumna. He knew this was her idea but wanted to hear it from her mouth. "Aunty ye Yumna ka idea tha ya aap k..., Challo khaana khaate hain mujhe bohut bhook lagi hain," Yumna said as she cut him off. She tried to compose herself, but the slight red stain on her cheeks gave her away.

They all got settled onto the dining table with the dishes beautifully arranged. The aroma filled the air, making Wahaj feel like he was home. On the table lay mutton karahi, biryani, pakore, and a warm teapot of chai. "Khushboo badi achi aa rahi hain aunty," Wahaj remarked as he took the bowl of mutton karahi. "Tumhe ye sab pasand  hain na beta? Maine isiliye banaya kyunki Yumna ne kaha ye sab tumhari favorite dishes hain" aunty replied. Yumna was fidgeting with the biryani on her plate, unable to hold eye contact with him. "Achaaaa Yumna ne kaha," he said teasingly. "Ammmmiiii mene kab ye kaha? Mene sirf suggestions diye, Yumna whined cutely. "Chup kar hamesha masoom banti ho," her mom threw back lovingly. Wahaj knew this was the chance to be on team ammi, so he decided to go through with the teasing. "Haaan aunty aapko pata hain, ye masoom nahi hain, bohut chalak hain," Wahaj added.

"Wahajjj, yaar tum bhi," Yumna remarked with a pout. He wasn't going to stop anytime soon. "Aur aunty aapko pata hain, ye sab ke saamne masoom banti hain lekin mere saamne to kya kya kehti hain," Wahaj teased. Yumna felt herself getting more embarrassed, cheeks flushing red. She began chewing her biryani quickly. "Kya baat kar rahe ho," her mom replied saracastically. Wahaj eyed her reaction as he bit into a pakora. "Wahajjj tum bhi to masoom nahi ho," Yumna replied. "Mene kab kaha me hoon," he shrugged as he poured more rice onto his plate.

Yumnas mom pat Wahaj's head lovingly. "Nahi ye to bohut acha bacha hain," she said. Yumna burst into laughter, making Wahaj form a small pout. "Acha bacha?!", Yumna exclaimed. "Ammi aap ko pata nahi hain ye kesa hain." "Mujhe to bohut acha laga," her mom said. They found themselves breaking free into laughter. This is what felt like home to Yumna with her favorite people. A core memory was forming in front of her eyes. "Tum dono enjoy karo, mene kha liya tha. Me ab sone jaa rahi hoon," aunty yawned. "Shabakhair," Yumna and Wahaj replied in unison. As aunty's footsteps faded away, there was quiet in the dining room, with no sounds besides the clinking of spoons against their plate, both finishing the last remaining bits of their food.

"Kesa laga khaana," Yumna broke the silence. Wahaj took a sip of his chai. "Bohut acha, thank you for inviting me," he said warmly. Yumna turned away due to his intense gaze, feeling her cheeks get tight due to her heavy smiling. "I can't even be secretive around you, you know me way too well," she giggled. He laughed at that. "What can I say, you're an open book," he replied softly. "Only for you," she whispered. As the night set, they sat on her dining table talking and laughing away. Conversations began to fade as it was getting late, and it was time for him to leave. "Aaj to mene tumhari ammi ko bhi mere team me bana diya," he taunted as he stood by the door. Yumna rolled her eyes at his confidence. He wasn't wrong, because she herself would be on his team, but she was not going to tell him that. "Koi na, you guys ganged up on me today," she replied sarcastically.

He took a step towards her. "But I'll always be on team Yumna," he said cutely. As they stared into the warmth eachothers eyes, they felt as if they were at home. Home isn't necessarily a building, but is rather a feeling, a feeling  they invoked in one another. "Haan you better stay on my team forever," she replied. "Hamesha," he whispered. They exploded into giggles, unable to contain them. They shared a warm, loving embrace, bidding each other goodbye. Her heart felt so full, surrounded by the people she cared for the most. She went to sleep that night, feeling loved and cherished, grateful to God for all that was bestowed upon her. She shut her eyes, with the anticipation of seeing him once again, tomorrow.