happiest birthday, yumna

It was 28th July, and Yumna's birthday was right around the corner. Wahaj wanted to do something special, to make her feel special. He decided he wanted to do something intimate, where it was just the two of them, with no one else to disturb. "Kya kar rahi ho kal?", Wahaj asked on the phone. She giggled through the phone. Those giggles were music to his ears. "Kuch nahi, bas ghar pe hoon. Kyun puch rahe ho?", Yumna replied. Wahaj smiled on the other line and nodded, "Good kal 2 baje taiyaar rehna, me aaunga lene." "Par kyu-", he hung up the phone before she asked any follow up questions. He didn't want to answer any additional questions and wanted to keep this as much of a surprise as possible.

It was the next day and Wahaj had finished getting ready. He wore a crisp black shalwar kameez, with a tissot watch as an accessory. He had his hair gel backed neatly, and his beard groomed which seemed to be her favorite. He pulled up to her house and there she was, a vision. She wore a lime green dress, with her hair falling back in waves. She wore a beautiful smile while approaching his car. He held the door open for her and she said, "Wahajjjj, kaha ja rahe hum? Tumne seedha phone kat diya." He laughed as he closed the door and headed towards the drivers side. As he settled in he replied, "Yaar thoda sabr to karo. Tumhe sab pata chal jayega." He turned on the car and she took a long sigh. "Ye mere birthday ke liye hai haina?", she asked innocently. Wahaj giggled and smiled warmly at her. "Hmmm shayad", he replied. He drove to a secluded park about 20 minutes away. He parked and helped her out of the car. "Ek park me kuch plan kiya hain?", she asked. He opened the back door and pulled out a large picnic basket with a chaddar. He put his hand on the small of her back and said, "Challo, aao aao."

It was a perfect day where the sun was shining, not too hard on their skin. The air was crisp, providing a cool feeling on their bodies in case it did get too hot. They headed towards a grassy area, and he set the chaddar and basket down. A serene lake surrounded them, with the water providing the perfect background noise. There were multiple rocks, all different sizes which surrounded the area. Wahaj picked the biggest boulder, large enough where both can sit. He placed his hand on her lower back, gently leading her towards that rock. "Me laaya hoon kuch tumhare liye," he said as they both sat. Yumna looked a bit nervous, and Wahaj could tell her heart was beating exceptionally fast. She waited patiently as he pulled out 2 beautiful gajres from his pocket, intricate with white flowers, and small green ones woven in between, exactly the color of her dress. She let out a small gasp, and looked at him with utmost affection. "Wahaj, they're- they're so pretty!", she said breathlessly. He smiled at her, cheeks radiating heat because of how happy he was to be there. He took her hand, and one by one slid the gajre on, first on her right hand then her left. She started touching them, like it was the most fragile gift she's ever received. "Beautiful," he said softly. She looked up at him and said, "Hainaaaa?" "Gajre ki baat nahi kar raha," he said softly.

She looked into his eyes, and her eyes were filled with unshed tears. As they smiled at each other, he gently put his arm around her shoulder, and she rested her head on his shoulder. They both sat quietly for a few minutes, staring out into the lake, with no noise around them besides the water gently splashing and occasional birds chirping. He puts his head on her head and whispered, "Happy birthday Yumna. Allah tumhe hamesha khush rakhe." Yumna chocked on her emotions. She wiped the tear that finally fell down her cheek and replied, "Thank you Wahaj. Me aaj aur yahan, bohut khush hoon." "Me bhi", he replied gently. As they sat there, taking in eachothers presence, he broke the silence. "Khana khaogi?", he laughed. "Mmmm mujhe bohut bhook lagi hain," she said cutely. "Haan mujhe pata hain," he replied laughing. She whacked his arm playfully and they both filled the air with their chuckling.

As they both settled on the floor, he started unpacking the picnic basket. "HALEEM", she screamed. They both started cackling, unable to stop. Time passed as they sat and ate for hours, unaware of their surroundings. It was a perfect escape from the cruel world, just basking in eachothers presence. Here was to another year of celebrating friendship and silent love with her favorite person.